chapter 130

THE NEXT MORNING, MARCIE WAS PATROLLING THE PERIMETER WHEN RICK ASKED HER TO JOIN IN ON A MEETING.

That's how she ended up in Rick's house, sitting at his dining room table with Carol, Rick, Michonne, and Morgan,

"What's going on?" Morgan asked, and Marcie wanted to know, too.

"When I was coming back, I tried to cut off the herd with the RV." Rick informed him, informed the rest of them, "Lead the walkers away. But five of those people with the Ws in their foreheads, they stopped me. They tried to kill me, shot up the RV. Now, Carol says she saw you. That you wouldn't kill those people. Did you let any of them go?"

Marcie's eyes widened slightly at Rick's question. Why would Morgan let those people go? They were a danger to everyone they came across, it was clear. They were the ones who set up the trap at the cannery, and have maimed and killed many people in the area.

The heads in the truck? Them. The woman tied to the tree and gutted? Also them. 

"Yes, I did." Morgan answered, "I didn't want to kill five people I didn't have to kill."

"They burned people alive." Carol snapped at him,

Morgan nodded, "Yeah. Why didn't you kill me, Rick, back in King County? Pulled a knife on you. I stabbed you. So why didn't you kill me?" Marcie turned to look at Rick, unaware of this situation happening. Was it when she was in Woodbury? When she was separated from the group? "Was it 'cause I saved you after the hospital?"

"'Cause I knew who you were." Rick answered,

"Back there I would have killed you as soon as look at you. And I tried. But you, you let me live and then I was there to help Aaron, Marcie and Daryl. See, if I... if I wasn't there... if they died... maybe those Wolves wouldn't have been able to come back here. I don't know what's right anymore."

Noah's words resonated in Marcie's head. Everything's happening the way it's supposed to happen.

If those Wolves didn't break in, then the people of Alexandria would continue living in ignorance. Thanks to those monsters, they knew they needed to fight to survive.

"'Cause I did want to kill those men. I seen what they did, what they keep doing." Morgan sighed,  "I knew I could end it. But I also know that people can change. 'Cause everyone sitting here has. All life is precious. And that idea- that idea changed me. It brought me back and it keeps me living."

"I just don't think it can be that easy." Michonne spoke up,

"It's not easy."

"I wasn't saying-"