54. Heartbreaking

I roll over on the mattresses we set up in the living room last night. Suns streaming in through the blinds but has been since 5.

I didn't sleep well because I was nervous for today. My parents knew I was home, they saw it. My brothers knew I was home, they saw it.

"How long have you been awake" I hear someone say from beside me, I turn but already know it's Gavi. His morning voice.

"I didn't sleep" I whisper back and he pulls me towards him with his eyes closed.

He wraps his arm around my waist and sighs. "Are you going home today"

"I don't know...I don't want to" I whisper back to him not wanting Pedri to hear.

"I know you don't, I'll go with you if you want"

"No I don't want you hearing- it's okay"

"I've heard you and your parents argue before, and you'll tell me after what happened...I also don't want them hitting you-"

"Gavi!" I say to stop him covering his mouth with my hand and looking at him wide eyed. I look over at Pedri who is rolled over facing the wall. I watch his chest and see it's out of rhythm. I roll my eyes. "Pedri I know your awake"

"How" he mumbles to himself and rolls over looking at me. "They've hit you?"

"Once" I say

Gavi gives me a look and I groan "a couple times"

He gives me another look and I glare at him "almost every time we get into fight"

Pedri looks at the sheets not wanting to look at anyone but I watch him. I wanna know his reaction, I remember Gavi's reaction. I remember these things because when I'm struggling I look back and try to see if they actually cared.

They both did. Pedri cups my face and frowns at me. He kisses the tip of my nose and pulls away.

"I'm sorry I- I don't know" Pedri starts

"It's fine, that's how I wanted it...I didn't want him to know either but he kind of..."

"Witnessed it" Gavi finishes for me and I nod.

"I I don't even know-"

"What to say? Good let's move on" I say and Pedri shakes his head still lost. "It's to early"

We sit in silence and give each other awkward glances until I clasp my hands together and stand up.

"Who wants breakfast?"

"Ooo I do" Gavi says like a child following me to Pedris kitchen"

"I do tooo" Pedri says and him and Gavi giggle.

Yep, my turn to be parent of the group. They do the slapping game where you have to pull away your hands while the other tries to slap them. They sit on the barstools and I walk around the counter and go to the fridge.

"So what do you have in here?" I ask Pedri as I hear him laugh again.

"Mmm probably nothing good...we've been away for about a month, been at yours for mmm more than a month- Yeah I wouldn't eat anything in there" he finally says and I sigh.

"Acai bowls?" Gavi asks and I look at him. "Order them?"

"Oh my lord yes that sounds so good" Pedri rubs his stomach "good job kid" he pays Gavi on the back and Gavi smiles like a kid.

"Gavi call and order it" I say looking at my phone as my brothers face appears on the screen.

Gavi nods not noticing my change of mood and walks to the mattress and picks up his phone. Pedri watches Gavi so I take my chance and walk out of the room and go up the stairs towards Pedris bedroom.