Chapter 40

MIA

"I heard you were looking for these," exclaimed Greg, holding out his wad of crumpled and dirty files to Lorenzo, waving them in his face, taunting him. "You didn't really think I'd leave them behind did you? All of my hard work is right here. I would be damned if I lost it all."

"Well I thought you were dead," snapped Lorenzo, baring his teeth, flinching in pain as he moved. The skin around his pulsating wound stretched, causing him what looked like immense pain.

"Mia!" declared Greg, turning to me, the sound of his heavy steps making me recoil back into the wall, just hoping to sink into it and become somewhat invisible.

"Get the fuck away from her!" ordered Lorenzo, desperately pulling against his chains, growling, the sound drilling against my head, causing an instant headache.

"You know, Mia, we never actually conducted all of the experiments I had planned. I had a rather long list of things I wanted to learn about wolves."

His tone made me feel nauseous, and I kicked out my feet in an attempt to hit him, however, I couldn't reach. Greg easily stepped back and raised a brow, surprised that I had actually fought back, something I hadn't actually done for a long time.

"You really do have a lot more fire in you now," he teased, his voice slimy. "It's actually quite nice to see."

"Go to hell, Greg," I snapped, and Lorenzo eyed me up, catching my attention as I tilted my neck in order to see him better. He subtly moved his head from side to side, telling me to stop.

I knew that he was right. Riling Greg up would only end in disaster, something I had learned when I had first been captured.

He enjoyed the chase, feeling more dominant if he won against a wolf who was defying him. Instead, it was better to say nothing and remain quiet. Then, he tended to lose interest and make the experiments quick.

"You've changed her," Greg chuckled, turning to my mate. "Congratulations."

Lorenzo didn't respond, instead, his eyes were intensely trained on me, his jaw tense, and form stiff.

"As much as it has been fun Mia, I'm afraid I no longer need you," Greg spoke, and my ears perked up, causing me to narrow my eyes at him.

"What?"

"I have an Alpha here, and he looks like a much better candidate for my experiments."

Lorenzo gulped and I shook my head at the evil scientist in front of me, clenching my fists. I wouldn't allow him to do the same thing to Lorenzo as he did to me. I couldn't let him go through it. It would scar him for life- if he lived.

"He's an Alpha as you know," I stated, my voice loud, and I turned my eyes away from my mate who was looking at me strangely, clearly confused as to what I was doing. "Not all wolves are as strong as him, so you're experiments wouldn't be accurate if you used him."

"Mia, stop," Lorenzo growled under his breath, his chest vibrating, and I could tell that he had caught on to what I was doing, looking furious.

"If you use me, it'll be a fair test and-"

"Mia! Fucking stop talking!" ordered Lorenzo, and I clamped my mouth shut, his tone tense and controlling. It instantly caused me to drop my head, my eyes trained on the ground.