Chapter 41

MIA

"What do you mean Caspian?" questioned Lorenzo harshly, his teeth gritted, and I sniffled, dropping my head.

"I...he...um..." I stuttered, struggling to get the words out. I knew it would crush Lorenzo. Caspian and him had been good friends for a long time, and we both trusted in him immensely, a part of me concerned that Lorenzo wouldn't actually believe me.

I had grown quite a connection to Caspian, and I was devastated that it had all been fake. Although I did notice that he was fighting with himself on whether to actually give me up to Ophelia, he had decided to go through with it, something that was unforgivable.

My mind was also wandering to Martina, who I was extremely concerned about. Had Ophelia's spell killed her? Had the pain been too much to bare? Had Caspian finished her off? Or was she okay?

My pain had subsided when Ophelia had lifted the spell, but I was unaware if the same had been done for Martina, or if she was still writhing on the forest floor, screaming in agony with nobody to help her.

"Mia, amore mio," sighed Lorenzo, gazing at me sadly, noticing my tears. "Please answer me, baby."

I exhaled loudly, sniffing, and I wanted to wipe my nose. However, the chains were stopping me from doing so, the snot dribbling out of my nostrils causing discomfort, and I pulled my knees to my chest, using them instead.

"Caspian took me to her," I whispered, swallowing a few of my tears back, cringing at the foul taste as I did so. "He betrayed us. They made a deal."

I waited for my mate's response, however, I didn't get one, which only scared me more. I had fully expected him to scream and shout, but he was weak, and he didn't have the energy to flip out much like I had expected.

Lorenzo's eyes were distant, and I cleared my throat to try and get his attention, practically seeing the cogs working in his brain as he tried to come up with a reasonable explanation as to why Caspian would betray us like this.

"What about Martina? Did she have anything to do with this?"

I widened my eyes at the lack of faith Lorenzo had in his sister, but, I understood why he doubted her, her previous alliance with the witches making her a dead ringer for a traitor.

However, Martina had been the one who was trying to save me. She looked as shocked as I had been when it came to light that Caspian was actually giving me up.

"She was trying to help me, but Ophelia cast a spell on her. I don't know if she's still alive," I admitted, and I watched Lorenzo's face fall, his eyes becoming hazy for a few seconds before he growled angrily. His wolf clearly wanted out, but the silver was stopping him from shifting.

His eyes were pitch black, and his limbs were shaking, making me concerned for his wound, the blood seeping through his shirt faster than before.

"Are you talking about me?"

I snapped my head to the spiral staircase, watching as Ophelia practically floated down them, her feet gracefully gliding across the slippery moss and mud with ease, and I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Leave us the fuck alone," grumbled Lorenzo, who leaned his head against the wall, panting heavily, sweat dribbling down his forehead and neck. I could tell that he was in severe pain, his body looking feverish.