Chapter 53

LORENZO

"You're dying?" questioned Lily after a few seconds, and I shot her an exasperated look, unsure if we should pry or not.

Paula spluttered again, nodding, her eyes watery from the amount of coughing she had been doing.

I was surprised she hadn't broken her ribs.

"Yes, I have cancer," she admitted, and I nodded in understanding, frowning.

"We're sorry," Lily spoke up, bouncing her leg anxiously, dropping eye contact, looking embarrassed for being so harsh on Paula.

However, we had to take everything we were told with a pinch of salt. We couldn't fully trust Paula, and there was a chance she was working with Ophelia, although I highly doubted it.

As Paula had said, Ophelia had been shunned by the witch community, and it seemed unlikely that somebody still accepted within it would be practising dark magic.

We had to remain wary though.

"We're very sorry to hear that, Paula," I told her honestly, the frail lady waving her skinny wrist at me, shaking her head.

"I've accepted it. Witches aren't invincible, you know?"

Lily raised her brows at me, clearing her throat, clearly feeling uneasy since Paula hadn't actually answered her question.

"You want to help us because you are dying? Is that correct?" Lily fished, causing Paula to nod.

"Yes, I don't know how much longer I have left, and between us, I'm worried about where I'm going to end up in the after life. I feel a desire to help you. I do not want to be damned to an eternity of pain and misery." Paula's voice was gravelly, and she cleared her throat as she gazed up at us, waiting for our response.

I couldn't say I fully trusted her after the answer, but, I was still going to be accepting her help. We didn't have much hope. We just needed to take precautions.

"Now, let's take a look at those chains," Paula said, clapping her hands together and forcing herself up off the bench, Lily gazing around to make sure nobody was watching.

I yanked down the zipper to my fleece, exposing my wrapped up chains to Paula who cocked her head as she analysed them, reaching out to touch them.

I took a step back quickly, shaking my head. "It will burn you."

"I doubt it," Paula spoke, causing me to furrow my brows. "I imagine the dark magic that has been used is only directed towards wolves. I should be okay."

I took a deep breath as Paula moved her hands forwards again, placing them on top of the thick metal chains, feeling them, muttering to herself.

"May I see the cuffs?"

I rolled up my sleeves, holding my wrists out to her, watching as she took the palm of my hands in hers, flipping them around to look from all angles, a string of gibberish leaving her mouth.

But, after a few seconds, she huffed, releasing me.

"It's definitely dark magic. My usual spell isn't working," Paula admitted, and I sighed, nodding.