Chapter 67

MIA

Nobody quite knew what to say, but it didn't matter. We didn't have time to chit-chat. The witches would be out hunting for Ophelia and Caspian, and we had told them that we were heading home. We couldn't be spotted out here.

Caspian looked at all of us with little to no expression, Lily frowning as she studied her old friend.

"I should be going," Caspian spoke, dipping his chin. "I think I'm going to head out of the country for a bit."

I released a small sigh. I so wished that Caspian didn't have to leave, but he did. We all knew nothing more could happen. There was no trust there.

"Good luck," Lorenzo told him, nodding once, his voice quiet as he turned to me. He placed his hand around me, wanting to lead me away as quickly as possible.

"Bye, Caspian," Lily managed to mutter, keeping her gaze glued to the ground as she also turned to begin walking away.

Martina wasn't as forgiving though, and she stood glaring at Caspian with raised brows. "I still think you're a piece of shit for what you did."

He didn't argue though, nodding once in agreement before quickly disappearing into the trees. His body moved swiftly, and it was evident that he wanted to get away from this area as quickly as he could.

If he was caught, he could face death. Witches didn't like wolves and I was sure they would be more than happy to dispose of him.

All of us quickly rounded the lake towards the car, hopping in, Lorenzo beginning to pull away from it and make his way back down the narrow path.

I noticed how his body was almost in a state of shock. His hands were shaking slightly as he clutched the steering wheel, a part of me concerned about him driving us back. He floored it though, speeding down the path and getting back onto the main road, heading for home.

I peered through the trees in an attempt to spot Caspian, but he was most likely far away already. He would have shifted, wolves able to travel long distances with ease. The witches didn't stand much of a chance unless a spell was used, and we didn't know what was possible.

I hoped nobody would find Ophelia's body. I didn't want a murder inquiry. We would definitely be questioned and things wouldn't add up. It seemed that Lorenzo was happy letting Caspian take the blame though since the witches knew nothing about him.

"So are you going to go back to see Thomas?" Lily asked, and Lorenzo hummed.

It seemed he still wasn't in the mood for talking.

"You can't go alone," Martina interjected, huffing. "There's not much point taking Mia back anyway."

"I had to make it look believable by being keen to take Mia home. Thomas knows how protective we are over our mates."

Lorenzo was right. If something was going on that meant I could be in danger, the first thing the witches would expect Lorenzo to do is ensure my safety. Dropping me home where I was protected would help with making this look like we had no part to play in it.

"You're going to come back though right?" I questioned, feeling anxious. Despite the fact that Ophelia was dead, I still wanted Lorenzo as close to me as possible. I didn't like the idea of him going off to deal with the witches without me there.