Chapter 56

MIA

"Nobody is going to touch you again," Lorenzo muttered into my shoulder, cursing to himself in Italian as he breathed a sigh of relief, holding me tightly, refusing to let go.

I pulled away, placing my hands onto his cheeks and gazing into his eyes, quickly scanning them down his neck and frowning. "How do you feel?"

Lorenzo nodded, wincing a little as he moved his head up and down, and I could tell that he was pretending he felt fine, when in reality he was suffering. His neck was swollen and still bleeding slightly, the bandage looking like it needed changing.

Now that he was awake, I felt the usual sparks when we touched, and I breathed a sigh of relief knowing that our bond hadn't been severed. Our marks now matched, and although we were both going to be left with hefty scars, our bodies recognised that we were together still.

"You don't understand how worried I've been, Mia," Lorenzo told me, gulping and closing his eyes for a few seconds before he snapped them open to study me again. It was almost as if he was afraid of shutting them in case I would disappear when he wasn't looking, and I pushed my body closer to his, needing to feel skin-on-skin contact.

Lorenzo fiddled with my wet braid, raising his brows at me, his fingers brushing the nape of my neck.

"Martina did it after she helped me shower," I told him, and he offered me a small smile, pressing a kiss to the side of my cheek.

"It suits you."

A rattle behind us caught our attention, and I craned my neck painfully to see the door being pushed open, Doctor Pia sticking her head in, looking apologetic.

"Is it okay if I check you over, Alpha?" she asked, and although Lorenzo looked annoyed with being interrupted, he agreed.

I slid off of his lap, taking a seat next to him as Doctor Pia slowly unbandaged Lorenzo's wound. I cringed at the sight of his swollen pulsating flesh, blood seeping out of it before Pia wiped it clean and re-bandaged it as quickly as she could.

I didn't know how she looked at such gruesome injuries every day. It made me want to vomit.

"I'll send you both home with a supply of bandages. You'll probably have to change them every couple of hours or so, but your bodies should heal fairly quickly."

"What about Mia's?" Lorenzo interjected, clearly not concerned about his own condition. "Will hers take longer?"

Pia pursed her lip, nodding. "I believe so. Every situation is different, but hers may take a couple of days extra or so."

Lorenzo nodded, hopping up from his bed, taking my hand in his. "Can we go home?"

"I think you would both heal best at home, but, is it alright if I come over tomorrow to check on you both?" Pia asked, and I could tell that she didn't want to take any risks. She wanted to ensure she got everything right.

It made me furrow my brows that she was asking for permission to come and check on us though. She was the Doctor and she knew best. Lorenzo would be stupid to deny her request.

"Please do," Lorenzo said, offering her a smile, thanking her.

I pushed myself up, sighing heavily when my muscles began to scream once again. My healing rate was really starting to piss me off. The silver that had been constantly used on me when I was in the lad had affected me long term, at least, that was what Doctor Mac had concluded.