Chapter 55

MIA

"It's been hours," I worried as I gazed down at my unconscious mate, his face expressionless and calm, so much so he almost looked worry-free. That was unusual for Lorenzo.

My eyes trailed down to his neck that was bandaged up, the thick white material keeping the bleeding at bay, matching mine.

I had awoken a few hours ago to find Martina and the doctor looking over me, relieved, fretting about my condition.

They had explained most of what had happened while I was out, Martina informing me that a witch named Paula insisted that I wasn't going to heal unless Lorenzo's mark was also cut from his skin. The thought made me almost vomit.

My chains were gone too, and it was freeing, but, Lorenzo was still trapped in his. I hated that he made the decision to take mine off instead of his own. He had always been so selfless.

I was also concerned that our mate bond had been severed, but, I still felt the sparks when I placed my hand on his. They were fainter and less powerful though, scaring me.

I loved him though. I didn't care if our mate bond wasn't as strong as it had been before, my feelings towards the man in front of me would never change.

Our love was more than the mate bond, and I was praying that he would feel the same.

"Cutting out his mark would have taken a lot out of him, Mia. Don't panic," Doctor Pia tried to reason with me, but I had taken to pacing back and forth in the hospital room.

I was weak, and my bare feet scraped against the cold tiling as my legs struggled to hold my weight. But, I couldn't sit still. I was too anxious.

Ophelia was still on the run, and I was terrified that she was going to strike again and take Lorenzo from me. We had barely got out alive, and it was a miracle that we did.

Greg had saved us. I didn't have faith that he would actually stick to his word, but, he had- for the most part.

Where was he? Had he gone into hiding from Ophelia? It made sense. She would want him dead for betraying her, and she was probably out searching for him, adding another one to her list of people she wanted to murder.

"Mia, maybe Martina should take you for a shower?" suggested Doctor Pia, and I frowned as I gazed at Lorenzo.

I didn't want to leave the room, but I was aware that I was probably stinking it out. I had a thin layer of dirt coating my body, and although I had been told that the doctors had done their best to wipe me down when I was unconscious, there was only so much they could do.

"We'll make it quick," Martina told me, placing her hand on my lower back and guiding me out of the room, my eyes stuck on Lorenzo's lifeless body.

My heart was already beginning to beat out of my chest at the thought of leaving him, and I was frightened he would flatline while I was gone.

Doctor Pia had told me that he was fine though, and he just needed a few hours of rest. His body was much stronger than mine.

I was led into the hospital shower room, and I stripped off, Martina fiddling around with the soap as she tried to avert her eyes to stop me from feeling self conscious.