Chapter 69

MIA

I clicked my tongue as I stared at the hands of the clock, just willing for them to move faster. It felt as if Lorenzo had been gone forever, but in reality, it hadn't been overly long. I was beginning to feel lonely, the house seeming empty without him.

Lorenzo and I had been thinking of moving out. Living with Lily and Natasha was nice, but it was time we had our own space. We had both gone through so much and just needed a small quiet home to call our own, allowing us to feel safe and secure.

It was something I was excited to sort out. It would give me a nice distraction, and I was sure that Ellie and Natasha would be more than willing to help design one.

In an attempt to distract myself, I began to cook myself some food. I wasn't that hungry, but I did enjoy cooking, trying out a lot of Caspian's recipes having motivated me to continue. The thought saddened me.

I would never come down to see him hunched over the stove with a mouthful of half-cooked food again. It always made me laugh, especially when he would refuse to share and Lorenzo would have to playfully threaten him.

I began to chop up some vegetables, throwing them into a pan along with some noodles, allowing them to sizzle. I kept it on a low heat, finding myself standing around waiting for it to cook, becoming bored.

I stared at the stairs longfully, and before I knew it, I was climbing up them, heading for Caspian's room. My bare feet were cold against the hardwood floor, and I pushed his door open once I reached the top, releasing a small sigh.

Everything was as he had left it, and I scowled at his many items of clothing that had been thrown all over the place. He was never the tidiest person.

Did he not want any of his belongings? He wasn't a materialistic person and didn't have a lot of possessions, but it was still strange to me that he wasn't going to come back to collect them. Although I understood that he didn't actually have a place to stay right now, and having a bunch of clothing was just going to slow him down. He was on the run from the witches and needed to move fast.

I hoped they would keep us updated and let us know if they did find any sign of Caspian. I wanted him to get away. Although he had crossed us, he had helped kill Ophelia, and that was all that mattered for the moment. There was no point dwelling.

I didn't blame Caspian.

I felt my throat begin to dry up, and I swallowed my sadness, shutting the door of his bedroom. I hadn't actually taken a look at his room since he had betrayed us, and seeing it empty was the final punch in the gut.

It was real.

I could smell my noodles, and I scampered down the stairs and grabbed a wooden spoon, beginning to stir the food. I gazed down into the pan, frowning at how much food I had actually cooked.

Lorenzo would be back soon. He could have some too.

Dishing it up, I seasoned it, sliding into a chair at the table and delving into it. It wasn't my greatest creation, but I was hardly motivated. My stomach also hurt a little bit with the anxiety of wondering how much longer Lorenzo was going to be. I hated having to wait here by myself while he went out to deal with things. It made me feel powerless.

As I forced the vegetables down my throat, I heard the sound of keys jingling, the front door being pushed open a few seconds later. I jumped out of my stool to make my way over to Lorenzo as he entered the house, his face masked with an expression I couldn't quite put my finger on.

"Are you okay?" I questioned, grabbing his hand, attempting to comfort him.

"Oggi è stato il peggiore," he muttered, and I cocked my head at him, confused. My Italian didn't even scrape that level of complexity and Lorenzo knew that, causing him to chuckle slightly. "It's just been a tough day."