Warm Winter - Seo Kang Joon

"Son, help me with this, would you?"

I turn to my mother who is waving her hand while her other hand is carrying a bag which is almost weighing her to the side. I nod as I walk closer to her, watching her smiling as I approach.

"Where do you want me to put this?"

"Just in front of the door and ask Go Eun to put it in the kitchen. I need you at the store."

"Are you going to rearrange the stocks today?"

She nods, looking tired but also excited at the same time. Rearranging things or something similar to that is always her favorite thing to do. She likes to keep everything clean and tidy.

"Alright, mother."

As I walk home, I fix the zipper of my jacket, tightening it. The temperature keeps decreasing just like what the weather forecast predicted. Bookhyun village is always this cold when winter is coming, yet this is something that I always missed after being out of town for several years. My parents refused to relocate to the city after years of persuading them. Yet, I find myself coming back to this village and don't regret a thing with that decision.

Yes, I don't.

"Go Eun-ah, please put these groceries in the kitchen. I'm going back to the store."

"No!!"

I hear my little sister who is 5 years apart shouting from her bedroom, refusing the simple task like she always does. Shaking my head, I put it in front of the door just like my mother said and quickly walked back to the store.

My eyes roam the landscape that transformed into a magical winter wonderland with snow-covered rooftops, trees and fields. The air is crisp and the ground is frozen and there is a feeling of stillness and calmness in the village. The villages bundle up in warm coats, hats and gloves to brave the cold temperatures. The streets are quieter than usual, with fewer people venturing outside. But in Bookhyun, there is a sense of community as people gather together in warm and cozy homes to share meals, stories and laughter.

Despite the beauty of the season, winter in this small village can be challenging. The snow and ice can make it difficult to travel and move around, and some villagers may find it hard to keep their homes warm and well-stocked.

I see my mother waving her hand again at me as I see the sign of the herb store that my parents own. Even from a distance, my senses already catch the soothing scent of dried herbs, essential oil and natural fragrances.

I can't help but not to smile at how my mother is smiling so wide, waiting for her arranging activities to begin anytime soon.

I am about to fasten my pace when my eyes catch a figure from a distance.

She is carrying her big luggage, walking very slowly as her eyes wander the landscape before her. That makes me stop to watch for a few moments. Everything seems to slow down as I recognize the figure. Then I gulped down, watching her walking away furthermore.