Chapter 28: Explaining

Another Ezra chapter
_________________________________________
George POV.

Clay was due to arrive in a few minutes, and I was feeling on edge about it. Usually I was thrilled to be able to see the blond, but today I was more worried about what he and Wilbur had told me last night about that weird message the two of us had received. I spent most of the night awake and worrying about what secrets of mine would be released if I didn’t go on that show.

There weren’t many secrets I could name though, no matter how hard I thought. The biggest thing that they could probably release relating to my life is that I am ‘dating‘ a movie star, or more accurately that we weren’t dating and it was just internet rumours spinning out of control after we went on a date. It had to be that, or maybe just the stupidly small fact of me not using the internet much.

What I spent much longer thinking about however, was what secrets of Clay’s they would release if we didn’t agree to go on the show. From what I knew about him he had never done anything bad in his life, surely there couldn’t be any secrets of his that could be revealed to the public.

I couldn’t even attempt to hide how quickly I bounced up and ran to the door when I heard knocking, feeling both anxious and excited to be able to see Clay. in fact I was shaking, I wasn’t sure if it was because I missed being around him, or if it was from nerves relating to if all of our secrets were released.

The blond was standing there smiling at me when I opened the door and without even thinking I launched myself into his arms for a hug. It confused him, and as my thoughts caught up with me it confused me too, but before I could pull away he moved one of his arms to wrap around me.

“What’s this for?” He questioned, his warm hand resting on the small of my back and warming my entire body in the cold Winter air.
“I’m just excited to see you.” I answered. “And a little nervous about everything that you and Wilbur told me…”

“Don’t worry.” The blond reassured, his face only inches away from mine. “I’ve dealt with this group of guys before, and it can seem scary but we can work our way around it, I promise you that nothing bad will happen.” I nodded, feeling reassured by his words.

It was only now as I pulled away from the embrace that I realised he was holding a box in his hand, attempting to balance it (although struggling) but also not saying anything since he didn’t want to ruin the moment. “What’s that?” I questioned as he took it back into both hands once I moved away.

“Just some donuts. I didn’t even realise that you could even buy decent donuts like these in the UK, but I found a bakery down the road from my hotel and they are to die for.” I chuckled at his exaggeration before leading him inside. We both were just giggling at what he said up until we sat down on the couch in the living room.

“So… what are you wanting to do?” I cautiously asked the blond. “Regarding the Backstage Celeb Show thing?” I had done a bit of research into the show with Wilbur last night, we even got logged in to his Disney+ and we watched some episodes there.

“Well, as far as I am aware they just want to be the first group to talk to us in person about our relationship.” Clay explained, which somewhat confused me.
“What do you mean by that?” I questioned, watching his movements as he opened the box of doughnuts and grabbed himself one..

“Well when people find out that a celebrity is talking about something that hasn’t been heard about before, they’ll all go to look at whichever news source or talk show was the one that first heard about it.” The blond explained. “It creates a lot of attention for that show, and so a lot of people will probably want us to come on to their show and talk for that attention.”

“Oh, that makes sense.” I nodded as I grabbed myself a doughnut with some pink icing and white sprinkles. “So the BC Show will get more attention if they are the first show to talk about it, all the other shows talking with us would have ‘old news’.”
“Exactly. And the BC Show gets really annoyed if they aren’t always first.” The blond explained.

We felt silent for a minute as the two of us each ate through our doughnuts. Then I asked the question. “So, it seems that we will have to go on to a show and talk, otherwise they’ll release some dark secrets about us.”
“Pretty much.” Clay agreed as he grabbed himself a second doughnut.

Another few seconds passed, with both of us internally questioning what we should do. “Well I guess we could do it.” I eventually stated, giving a small nod.
“Are you sure that you want to?” The blond asked. “Cause if you do this then nothing is going to be the same again afterwards.”

“Nothing has been the same since I went to that charity auction with you.” I muttered. “We are way past that point Clay.” Mentioning that made him fall silent, his gaze lowering and upon noticing his reaction I felt bad, since I knew he was probably feeling guilty about bringing me to that charity auction without so much as a warning.

My hand moved to rest on his. “Don’t feel bad.” I spoke softly. “I liked everything about that night… despite the fact that it was a surprise. You got me out of my shitty little social circle.”
“I thought that your little social circle was sweet.” The blond responded. “But before we do anything, why not go on another date?”

“Yeah. Then we have stuff to talk about when we go on the show.” I said happily. “But I don’t want to go somewhere too public like the last couple times. So no malls. No insane ex-girlfriends. And no paparazzi.”
“I’ll do my best.” Clay reassured. “Just give me a day and I’ll have a perfect date.”

“So does this mean that we are dating?” I questioned, since we didn’t really have a title for it at the moment.
“Sure. If that is what you want. But if you don’t then we don’t have to go on that date and can just explain the situation if and when we go on the show.” Clay stated.

I thought it over for a moment, possibly not even that, before shaking my head. “No, I am fine with us being a couple, if that’s what you want of course.”
“It is. So, how about I message them and say we’ll be on the show, and you just wait for me to surprise you with a date.”

“Alright…” I nodded. “It’ll be nice.” My hand slowly moved off of his after a few moments, all the while he messaged that weird news company. I was kind of awkward about the thought that I’d sit in front of a large audience and talk about personal information, but as I watched the blond from beside me I knew that I’d be somewhat okay with him.
_________________________________________
1256 words