Chapter 70: Bacon and egg

Clay POV.

Hopefully George would like a warm bacon and egg panini that I purchased. It was either that or a barbeque panini, and I figured that he wouldn’t like that. Maybe I should have asked George what he wanted before I left, but that would ruin the fact I was spoiling him with a surprise early breakfast/late dinner.

These were stupid thoughts that I came up with in my sleep deprived state on my drive back to the hotel. I moved one of my hands off of the steering wheel to yawn before rubbing my eyes to try and get the sleep out of them. Finally I reached the entrance to the hotel parking lot and quietly rolled my car into its usual spot.

When I headed inside, I carried a white paper bag with the logo of the shop I went to on it. The shop was the first one that I came across which was open and had a large range of foods there, so I might have to come back again at some point. The two employees were happy to just have someone to talk to that wasn’t one another as my food was heating up.

I ended up buying, with some suggestions from the employees, two bacon and egg paninis, a bag of fries (or as they called them, hot chips), a box of chicken nuggets with ketchup (or as they called it, tomato sauce), and a small bottle of juice for each of us to drink. Overall, it seemed like enough to make sure George would like something and he wouldn’t go hungry.

The reception was quiet at this time of the morning, with only a security guard sitting around and reading a book to pass the time. I gave him a quiet good morning before slipping into the elevator and pressing the button to start the elevator moving. Another yawn fell from my lips as I headed to my floor and I clutched my bag of food closer.

When I got up to my room and returned to the bedroom I was surprised and shocked to see that George wasn’t there after I turned the light on. The bed was empty and the sheets had been pulled back as though someone had hurried to get out. I was worried, but figured that it just meant he was in the bathroom.

Because I was a good boyfriend, I turned on the lights and made the bed while waiting for George, not wanting to eat any of the food without him here since it would be rude. Five minutes passed and the brunette still wasn’t out, causing me to get worried.

Maybe I should have been worried much sooner than this, but I wasn’t too sure. I let out a quiet sigh as I moved from where I was sitting on the rest of the bed and slowly approached the bathroom door.

“George…” I spoke softly as I knocked on the door. “Are you in there?” I waited a second but didn’t hear anything in response. “George, I’m sorry if I’m disturbing you, it’s just I’ve been here for the past five minutes and I’m kinda worried since I haven’t seen you. Just say anything to let me know you’re alright.”

I waited for a moment, worrying that maybe he had left for whatever reason when I didn’t hear a voice in response, but just as I was about to go get my phone and call Wilbur to see if he knew where the brunette was, I heard a quiet voice. “Clay…” George almost whimpered from inside the bathroom.

“George.” I repeated, still unsure as to what was going on. “Are you alright? You’ve just been gone for five minutes.”
“I’m sorry.” Was all he responded with, letting out a small sob. “I’m so s-so-sorry…” he stuttered lightly, breaking my heart.

“It’s alright George.” I quietly replied. “Can I come in?” The brunette didn’t say anything for a while, just continuing to cry. “Georgie?” I repeated. My voice was soft, not sure why he was upset, but wanting to comfort him either way.
“It’s unlocked.” He told me, and within a second I opened the door.

My heart broke once again when I saw him sobbing on the bathroom floor, and without saying anything I moved over to him and pulled him into a hug. Tears were running down his face and instantly began drenching my clothes but I didn’t care at the moment, only focusing on making sure he was alright.

“What happened?” I asked him, moving both of us around so we were comfortable on the bathroom floor. He didn’t respond for a few moments, which I was fine with if he needed to take his time. His body curled up against me and his head was resting on his chest and he began muttering apologies again.

“It’s okay,” I soothed. “I promise that I’m not mad at you about anything, okay? Just tell me what’s wrong and we can work it out together.”
His voice was shaky as he finally spoke up, barely any louder than a whisper. “I think I ruined your life.” He said, before hiding his face again.

“No. No you didn’t.” I responded. “No matter what happened, I guarantee you did not ruin my life.” My hands cupped his face and pulled him in for a kiss. “You’re alright.”
“But…. b-but I-I…” he hiccuped before leaning into me more.

Before he could say anything else I lifted him up, deciding that whatever was wrong, it would be nicer to talk about it, or cry on the bed. I lifted him bridal style, with George instantly curling into me with a tired cry. “You’re alright.” I hushed, setting him down on the bed before joining him so I could cuddle again.

“Now, why do you think you ruined my life?” I questioned. Watching as he wiped away some of his tears and hesitated to speak.
“Monica recorded our conversation, and posted what I said.” He sobbed out. “Now everyone’s hating you online and they’ve been saying we should….”

He trailed off as he started sobbing again and I just hushed him. A few minutes passed of him speaking incomprehensibly, mixed between cries. I kept silent as I allowed him to take deep breaths. Eventually George grew quiet, and he fell asleep, curled up on my lap against my chest.

I didn’t wake him. After all he had been through in less than ten minutes, he deserved to sleep for a while. But I still wanted to have a look. So after making sure the brunette was laying in a comfortable position, I went on my phone and was utterly disturbed and disgusted by all the things I saw.
_________________________________________
1137 words