Chapter 34: On stage

George POV.

“Now, ladies and gentlemen, the main reason that you are all on this show tonight, we have an exclusive interview with the internet's newest and hottest couple!” Puffy announced, to a round of thunderous applause from the audience out in the studio.

Clay and I had been waiting in the passageway that led on stage for the past few minutes, watching what was happening from some screens, although being able to hear the applause very clearly outside of the show. In the first break Puffy had come over to where Clay and I were waiting and informed us that this was the most full the studios ever been.

That did not fill me with confidence, but during the break Wilbur also texted me, saying that he was sitting in the front row of the audience and that he’d be clapping and cheering for me and Clay the entire time. It made me slightly relieved that he was here, since at least in the crowd of strangers invested in my lovelife, there is someone that I know and care about.

“Clay Smith and George Davidson!” Puffy announced, and since my hand was holding Clay’s I was pulled forward as he began walking out onto the stage, but once he noticed what he was doing, he slowed down to wait for me, with one of his hands moving to wrap around my back so that I’d be more comfortable.

We got out onto the stage and there was another deafening cry from the crowd. I couldn’t make out every word that they were screaming but there was everything from cries about how we were the cutest couple ever, to about how they wanted to marry us or have our kids. Some of it was downright creepy and made me uncomfortable, but I ignored it as I tried to find my friend.

Sure enough, front and centre I saw the brunette. There was a walkway between the edge of the stage and the first row of seats, and my best friend was sitting there. He was waving furiously at me while screaming about how he knew both of us. The people on either side of him seemed somewhat annoyed by his sporadic behaviour, but he didn’t care.

I held his gaze for as long as I possibly could, before being directed to sit down by the blond beside me on one end of a black leather couch. On the other side of the couch was Puffy, who was watching as the two of us sat down.

“Welcome both of you.” She grinned as we sat down and the audience had gotten quiet. “It is great to have the two of you here.” After Puffy said that she turned to grin at the audience. “Isn’t it?” She asked again, only to receive another loud uproar of approval, which the albino woman quickly quietened with a chuckle.

“But anyway. George, Clay, it is great to have you both here. And George, I know that this is your first interview and I am grateful that you decided to come here and talk with us!” Yeah, decided. A show that pressured me and Clay to come on here otherwise we would be blackmailed.

I just smiled at her and did what Clay told me to do, which was to give an answer which would either make the company feel good or get a lot of laughs and love from the audience. “It is great to be here. I heard a lot of good things about this show.” It was a lie, but nobody here knew that, besides myself, Clay, Wilbur and a couple of the producers backstage.

“We have a range of questions tonight, all from fans of the pair of you which they have requested I ask.” Puffy explained, with me weirded out about the idea that I actually had fans when I had next to no social media life up until a few days ago. “So, how about we start from the beginning. Where and when did you two meet?”

Clay glanced over to me without saying anything, a silent way of asking if I wanted to answer the question or if he should. I spoke up, although I very quickly began fumbling with my words. “Well the two of us-uh… we both were…” I cut myself off and lowered my gaze, preferring to focus on my hands in front of me instead of the interviewer, the cameras, or the audience.

People quickly started murmuring at my lack of an answer, and the blond leaned over at me to offer reassurance. “Something that helps me is just pretend I’m talking to one specific person in the audience.” He suggested quietly, so that it wouldn’t be picked up by either of our mics. “Just pretend you are talking directly to Wilbur, it’ll make it easier.”

I gave a small nod before looking back up, making brief eye contact with Puffy before turning to look towards Wilbur. “Well I was working one evening, I am a bartender, and Clay came in for a drink. I honestly didn’t recognise him. He and I got along as we talked while he was drinking, and then he offered to take me out on a date.” I explained, just focusing on Wilbur.

Then I glanced back over at Puffy once again, and that got me stuttering again. “I… I know it’s not overly romantic, but I’m not someone who likes big acts of love, so I liked it.”
The audience all let an ‘aww’ out during that, and Puffy did that too. “That’s sweet. So how soon into meeting each other did you guys decide that you wanted to go on a date?”

“Honestly straight away.” Clay admitted sheepishly, which got a laugh from the audience and some claps. “Just from the first minute I talked to him he seemed funny, and I wanted to get to know him more.” After he said that he got some ‘awws’ before looking over at me for an answer.
“Same.” I nodded, although that wasn’t the case, I just didn’t want to talk too much.

Somehow Puffy seemed to understand what I was thinking, and when I next looked over at her she gave me a supportive smile. “So George,” she said, catching my attention before I dropped my gaze again. “What kind of things have you been through since meeting Clay?”

Well I have a long list of stories that I can give you. I bit the inside of my lip and attempted not to smirk as I glanced over at Clay, who seemed to know exactly what I was planning on saying, but he didn’t say anything. “I actually have a lot of stories, Puffy.” I managed to say without hesitating or stuttering once, which got a round of cheers from the audience.

“Do you care to share any?” She questioned. “If you and Clay are both alright with it of course?” I grinned at her question, before stating ‘I would love to.’
_________________________________________
1177 words