CHAPTER 4

Karina is on a call with her friend. Instead of good things, Karina complains a lot about her new apartment.

"I don't know. maybe because it's old. Some pipes are leaking, some lightings are flickering. I already called the maintenance guy but they keep postponing." Karina sighs.

"it's been three weeks. How can you not get a proper service?"

"how do I know? that's the closest apartment that you can give me." Karina said as the bus door opened.

"if you want to I can find you another. You said it's not that bad the first time."

Karina got distracted when Winter came in and walk past her, sitting at the back of the bus.

"hello?"

"yes, hi." Karina cleared her throat. "I'll keep calling them. I can't afford another apartment."

"alright, then. get home safe."

Karina looks back. Winter is asleep with her head leaning on the window. She quickly goes to sit beside Winter, carefully placing her head on her shoulder. In Karina's eyes, Winter looks like someone who has a lot going on her life. Honestly, she pities the girl.

Karina plays with her phone to kill time, not realizing that they've arrived.

"Winter..." Karina wakes her up. "we're here."

Winter opens her eyes, looks to the side and see Karina smiling sweetly at her. she hurriedly fixes herself and sit properly. Karina stifles a laugh at her.

"I'll see you around." Karina gets off first, seeing that Winter is still tired.

Winter walks behind Karina. When Karina tries to unlock the door, the key is stuck to the keyhole. Winter stops for a while, staring at her in struggle.

"c'mon." Karina groans, not noticing Winter.

Winter then continues to walk upstairs where her unit is. upon walking in, she hears her father calling someone.

"everything is great, here. I'll send you your pocket money next week, okay?" he pressed a smile. "no, of course, not. your mom is working as well. You know Winter is still lazy." He sighs. "I'm proud of you. don't forget to give me a proper house, though." He laughs awkwardly. "tell me if you need anything."

Winter can still hear him from the kitchen. She guessed that her mother is still in her room, probably resting because the dishes are still on the sink. Winter takes her time washing them before going in her room.

"how's your work today?" the mother greeted her daughter. "I was very tired. I took a nap."

"it's okay." Winter smiles. "I already ate. Have you?"

"we already have. Your dad didn't want to wait."

"understandable." Winter said, walking towards her closet. She takes some clothes and a towel, preparing to take a shower.

"oh, can you get the laundry after you shower?" the mother said before getting out of the room.

"sure."

-

Winter grabs the huge laundry basket and take them downstairs where the laundry room is. on the fourth floor, she noticed Karina on her phone frustratingly. Looks like she's complaining about some leaking pipes and electricity problems. Winter just continues walking as Karina's eyes follows her.

Karina runs after Winter after the call ended. She follows her to the laundry room, finding her loading up one of the machines.

"hey, Winter." Karina stands beside her.

"hey." Winter said as she stuffs the machine with her last clothes. She stands up properly to greet her.

"can I ask you about the things around here? Do you often get broken pipes and flickering lights?"

"no."

"then... I think there's something wrong with my unit." Karina sighs.

"I fixed them." Winter grabs the empty basket. "try calling them again."

"I did call them. If you can fix your unit, can you help me with mine?" Karina asked.

Winter looks at her. seeing that it really bothers her, Winter can't help but nod lightly at her request.

"is that a yes?" Karina said excitedly.

"tomorrow."