53. A Nip in the Air

The weather cooled down significantly and Nana tried to enjoy what she could. Zen's warning about Kabuki was taken to heart, but Kabuki would still approach her on occasion. He never once brought up the uncomfortable topic or did anything that resembled courting. He gave her no gifts and always left early. She started to doubt Zen's guess.

Putting the Kabuki question aside, Nana and her team of skilled beastmen finished all preparations for the upcoming season of frost. She made sure Kibwe and and Aspen had enough goods of their own and shared several jars of preserves. They were anxious about accepting it, but Nana swore it was payment for their help.

Nana went to the heart of the village several times to see the stalls and mingle with the villagers. There was nothing she needed to buy, but she wanted to trade for life kon. There was never too much when it came to life kon and her stash had depleted somewhat. Having more than a few small life kon had proven to be very useful. If anyone got hurt, but not badly, she could use a life kon and not feel bad about it.

After asking around, Nana found one male trading a small life kon for a medium clear kon. It pained her, but Nana did the trade. She would have to try harder during the season of life when the trading was better and the foot traffic of foreign merchants was much higher.

"U-um. Wait, female. Please," called a small squeak of a voice.

Nana and Troy, who was with her today, looked down at the young male cub. His long, furless tail and huge ears told Nana that he was a rodent beastmen of some kind as much as his scent did. "Yes?" Nana asked curiously. The little male was thin and small. Nana's heart tried to bleed for him, but she didn't let it show.

"Y-you want kon? I-I have some to trade," the young male stammered. He opened his hand and showed her its contents. "For food."

Nana looked at the one small clear kon and a small, brown-colored kon. "Is that a decay kon?" Nana asked curiously. Decay kon were not desirable as there was a stigma surrounding them. But Elizabeth had found a use for them in the novel and Nana, of course, had the same knowledge. It wasn't useful to her now, but in the future... maybe.

"Y-yes." The small male squeaked when Troy's eyes fell on him. The little guy seemed to wither.

"What food?" Nana asked.

"I can get you kon, Nana. Just say the word," Troy said and Nana elbowed him.

The little boy looked like he'd run off, so Nana repeated her question.

"Anything," he said, voice shaking.

He sounded so desperate that Nana felt her stinginess disappear. She wasn't going to feed all the starving children of the world, but this one... this one she could feed.

"Okay. I'll be back." Nana took Troy by the arm and made him leave.

Troy sighed with a smile. "Would you look at that..."

"What?" Nana arched her brow.

"You are a softie." Nana tired to elbow him again, but he blocked it with a chuckle. His expression turned serious. "Nana, if you give, they'll keep asking."

Nana frowned. "So, I should ignore it? It's not that easy."

Troy sighed and let it go. It wasn't a problem now and it might not be in the future. He'd leave thinking about and planning for it to Zen or someone else. "Nah. Do whatever you want. I'll get you anything you need so you don't run out."

The little bubble of irritation Nana felt inside of her popped and was replaced by a warm, fuzzy feeling. It was nice to have that kind of support.

But... Troy was right to an extent. Nana couldn't give out good deals always, and she was planning to throw in some extra for the boy. Somehow, she figured Troy had guessed she would and that's why he said something. But again...