Chapter 36: Turn of Events

I woke up from the light that's shining through the window. I immediately searched for the girl I made love with last night.

"Adaline?"

Tinignan ko ang magkabilang banda ng higaan dito sa kwarto ngunit wala siya rito.

"Ada?" I called her name once again.

Maybe she just went outside. I decided to look for her in the bathroom and at the balcony, but to no avail, she wasn't there. Nagmamadali akong lumabas ng kwarto para hanapin siya. Akmang lalabas ako nang mapansin kong boxers lamang ang suot ko. Agad akong nagsuot ng shirt at disenteng shorts bago ko nilisan ang kwarto.

I went straight to breakfast lounge to try and find Adaline. I found our parents instead.

"Good morning, tita, dad." I greeted them. Hindi ko muna tinanong kung nasaan si Adaline, they might find it suspicious why I'm looking for her first thing in the morning.

"Good morning Nico."

"Good morning hijo, breakfast?" pag-aalok sa akin ni tita Sophie ng coffee. Tinanggihan ko naman ito at pasimpleng ipinasok sa usapan si Adaline.

"Where's Adaline?" I asked her mom.

"Oh, she won't be able to make it to breakfast."

Huh?

I lifted my brows in curiosity. Where would this girl be? Should I ask?

"Why is that?" I asked her anyways.

She looked at me and put down her coffee before answering, "She already left with James and his family back to California."

"She already left with James."

One line that almost broke me.

What?

Am I hearing this right?

I felt my whole system crash.

"W-What?" I tried asking her again. Siguro ay mali lamang ang narinig ko.

"It was kind of urgent, but she told me she already decided before the wedding. She just forgot to tell me." she answered.

How the fuck did this happen?

"Why? Why did you let her?" I can sense the blame in my tone. Why did she let her daughter go?

This is fucking me up.

"Adaline's an adult and I trust James. She's in good hands." she smiled at me. I can't believe her.

All this time, she has already made up her mind. Even way before she had sex with me. But why? Why would she do that?

To play me?

To hurt me back?

Fuck, this is the most hurtful thing anybody can do to me.

"Do you know when and where is their flight?" I asked her mother. I don't care anymore if she finds it suspicious.

"I think their plane is about to take off in an hour. They're at NAIA 1 right now." she instructed.

Hindi na ako nagpaalam pa at nagmamadali akong bumalik ng kwarto para magbihis at kunin ang susi ng sasakyan ko.

Hindi ko na ininda pa ang sakit na nararamdaman ko, maybe I can still change her mind and stay with me.

I can't lose her.

Habang kumakaripas ako papunta sa underground parking ay sinubukan kong i-text ang number ni Adaline.