Chapter 38: Los Angeles

"Since when did you start smoking again?" tanong ni dad nang makita niya ako rito sa bench ng parking lot sa labas ng building.

"Not long ago." I lied.

4 years ago

That's the answer. Four years since Adaline left, that's when I found comfort in coming back to my vices again.

Drinking, smoking, you name it.

It was the only way to numb the pain.

"I told you to stop smoking. It's not good for your health in the long run. Mind you, you're set to inherit the Alvarez Consolidated." muli niyang paalala sa akin.

Tinignan ko ang malaking signage ng kumpanya sa pinaka itaas ng building, how I wish I can say no. I don't want this corporate life, I want to settle down someday and not work my ass off 24/7.

"Don't worry dad, I don't often smoke." sagot ko sa kaniya.

"Are you packed yet? Your flight is tomorrow." pagtatanong niyang muli sa akin.

Ah, yes. The flight.

"I'll have my secretary pack my things. I'll only need a few anyway." I answered.

"By the way, your aunt Sophie wants you to meet with Adaline." napalunok ako sa sinabi niyang ito.

Tinapon ko ang sigarilyo ko at inapakan ito. I don't know how to respond to that.

"Why?" I asked.

"She just wants you to check on your sister."

I clenched my jaw after hearing that word. I'm trying so hard not to let out a sarcastic laugh.

"I don't know if I'll still have the time." pagdadahilan ko.

After so many years of battling wether I should fight for her love, I finally chose not to.

Matagal ko nang alam ang address niya sa California. I knew it two years ago. But I made the decision to not bother her anymore, I know that's what she would've wanted.

"Just visit her for the sake of your aunt Sophie's peace of mind. Adaline hasn't come home in over 4 years. She really misses her daughter." dad tried to convince me.

Napatingin naman ako sa sinabi ni Dad. I was so focused on my own pain when Adaline left that I forgot she left her mom here too. We haven't seen her since the wedding.

"I'll try." iyan na lamang ang sinagot ko kay dad at nagmartsa na ako pabalik ng office.

Sinalubong ako ni Celine sa office, mukhang naghihintay siya sa akin doon.

"You done with your smoke break?" tanong niya.

Tumango lamang ako, hindi mawala-wala sa isip ko ang habilin ni dad.

"I already packed your things back in your condo, everything that you might need on your business conference is there." nakangiti niyang sabi sa akin.

She's actually nice, I just didn't see that until a year ago. She took care of me when I was at my lowest. We were in an on-and-off relationship before.