chapter 25

year 4.

third person pov.

a letter had just arrived for Hallie at breakfast and she eagerly tore it open, the letter addressed to her from her older sister.
she read through it twice with excitement.
she turned to Sage who looked a bit concerned as she took a bite of her eggs and drank her coffee.

"Serenity is coming to visit this weekend!" Hallie exclaimed. Sage was happy for her friend as Hallie went on to explain the rest of the short letter.
Hallie had always had a close relationship with her older sister. even though they were 9 years apart.
she had cried the day her sister moved out, and cried when she had joined The Ministry Of Magic.

so for the next few days Hallie could not stop thinking about her sister. she was counting down the days until Saturday. Serenity had sent another letter saying to meet up in Hogsmeade at The Three Broomsticks.

the morning of Saturday had rolled around and Hallie was up early. Sage was still sound asleep, she hadn't wanted to go down to Hogsmeade until much later.
Hallie made sure to wake up her friend and say goodbye as she left.
she had skipped breakfast and went straight to Hogsmeade for butterbeer.

Hallies pov.

i hummed to myself as i walked into The Three Broomsticks. kicking my boots to let the excess snow fall off. the warm air hitting my cheeks and the bustling of people laughing and talking was loud enough.
i made my way past multiple tables until i spotted the blonde headed women who sure enough was my sister.
i quickly rushed over to her and she noticed me.

"Hallie!" she smiled as she got up and hugged me cheerfully.
"how are you?" i asked quickly, sitting across from her and taking off my scarf and gloves hastily.
"good!" she smiled cheerfully.
"how about you? how's school?"
"it's okay" i laughed. "and work?"
"which job."
"the Ministry"
"it's alright, you know the usual"
"i've read the paper, it doesn't seem to be much"
"no not really. would you like to order? i'll pay" smiled Serenity.
"a butterbeer, thank you" i smiled as she walked off.

she came back carrying my butterbeer and another in her other hand. i popped off the lid of the bottle and began chugging it.
"so~ Hallie, anything interesting?" Serenity looked at me with a curious eye as she took a short sip.
i side eyed her and gulped down half of the bottle, setting it down and wiping the foam off my top lip.
"what does that mean" i said, breathing heavy.
"just wondering... anyone you fancy?" she smiled. my cheeks turned pink.

"aha! you haven't told me about mystery boy" she said, sounding very smug.
"you know of him" i tried to hide the smile that spread on my lips but i could barely even try.
"who?" she said sounding like a child.
"i think.. i may or may not fancy George" i said quietly. she leaned in.
"oh i knew it. you're always going on about him in those letters you send me"
"alright stop it" i laughed, taking a sip of my butterbeer to hide my smile.

"oh that's right!" she said suddenly, making me jump. she reached under the table and pulled out a neatly wrapped package.
"what's this?"
"open it" she smiled. she had always loved giving gifts.
"alright alright" i smiled as i tore off the brown parchment.
i pulled out a framed moving portrait of Serenity and I laughing as she fumbled with the camera, trying her hardest to take a good selfie without the help of me. you could hear our distance laughter. it almost made me tear up.
"oh it's perfect! thank you" i smiled.
"i thought you probably didn't have any photos yet, so here's your first" she said.
"don't get sappy on me" i said, putting the photo away so i wouldn't cry. i did miss her.

we talked for a bit longer, she asked how Sage had been and continued to pester me more on how i found out i fancied George, i told her everything, down to the time we had leaned in to share a kiss. i thought i had been delusional but Serenity said he was obviously wanting to kiss me, it made me feel all giddy inside.
my stomach did backflips the whole time as i talked about him. i couldn't even keep still. how badly have i fallen for him?

Sage had found us and sat with us, Serenity gifted her a book from the bookstore she had occasionally worked at and said she saw Sage eyeing it once.
it truly was a good Hogsmeades visit, sitting with two of my favorite people and sharing laughs.
once it had passed lunch and the place started to fill with more adults drinking we had decided we would leave and not be the loud and chatty girls we were.

we walked around and entered in and out of shops. Serenity told us stories of when she went here, like getting her heart broken by a boy in her fifth year, how she was a popular girl in her time. Sage and i gasped at each one of her dramatic stories, it seemed to be the most wonderful day yet. it took my mind off of my racing thoughts of George, what would happen if i confessed and he pushed me away.

i could imagine it happening in a flash.
"George, i think i like you" i would say. he would stare at me with disgust, get up and begin to walk away.
"Hallie i would never like you like that" he would say nastily and walk away, i would watch him as my heart broke into millions of pieces.
but how could i live like this. my heart hurt every moment when we got close enough. whenever i can feel his skin against mine, or even when he's just looking at me. i stare into his eyes, imagine him staring back with the same light i felt.

after the sky had turned a dark blue, and i had lagged behind Serenity and Sage, lost deep in thought. Serenity telling the story of how she had half the Hufflepuff team asking her on dates. we decided it was best to head back before we got in trouble for being out so late.

Serenity dropped us off at the entrance and hugged Sage goodbye then me.
i had trouble saying goodbye because i wasn't ready just yet. i wanted to blab to Sage and Serenity about my problems with George, i wanted them both to comfort me and say i was mad to think that way.

"Fred wanted to meet in the library, i'll meet you up in the common room later" Sage said. i nodded and we both parted ways. i had homework to get to anyway so i didn't feel bored. besides, Sage was head over heels for Fred and i wasn't going to stop her because i was overthinking about George and Is relationship. it wasn't like i was going to tell him. it's better to stay friends then ruin a perfectly good friendship with one of my favorite people.

i sighed as i sat down in the Hufflepuff common room surrounded in stacks of books. people talked quietly by the fire, some laughing, others scratching their quills against parchment. i finished up a foot long paper about an antidote for Potions class. i did my astronomy paper and finished the rest until i could barley keep my eyes open and carried the heavy books upstairs and collapsed into bed.

1285 words.
5/7/2023.