chapter 38

Year 5

Hallies pov.

"so pair up. find yourselves a partner!" Professor Sprout spoke as music began to play.
she had just informed all of the Hufflepuff students about The Yule Ball.
the Yule Ball was supposedly a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament. it was a dance. personally, i was excited for a dance. Sage and I both.

"may i have this dance?" Cedric's voice was behind me. i turned to look at him.
"round two huh?" i joked. remembering us dancing around crazily.
"this time we have to be formal" he made a pouty face. i laughed and placed my hand in his.
he pulled me close as we both adjusted to proper etiquette and dancing around.
i looked down at our feet.

"how are you so good?" i asked as he lead me around the room.
"i've taken dance lessons before" he smirked, staring down at my face. not having to worry about his feet placement.
i was jealous.
"oh really?"
"yes" he smiled and we continued to waltz around the room.

the more i thought about it the more i doubted that George was going to ask me to the dance.
it was almost like we were both avoiding each other so we wouldn't have this big argument and break up.
i had come to terms that we were going to eventually break up.
my heart was feeling so heavy every time i thought about it.
i didn't want to think about it. i wanted to daydream about a pretty dance and a fancy dress along with a perfect date. but none of it really seemed realistic right now.

-

i sat in the library alone as i tapped my quill on the edge of my paper. dotting blobs of ink that soaked in too quickly.
my face was smooshed against my fist as i stared at the words of my textbook.

"hey" i heard a whisper behind me. i turned to see Cedric behind me with a smile.
i sat up straighter, inhaling a breath to keep me awake and well alive.
Cedric sat next to me and pulled my empty paper towards himself after taking the quill from my hand.

"what are you doing" i crossed my arms and relaxed against the back of my chair, a smirk pulling at my lips.
"you've wrote one word" he looked at me with a skeptical eye.
"maybe we should start studying together more" he suggested and began to write on my paper.
i stayed silent as he wrote the paper for me.

i relaxed into my chair and looked up at the ceiling. i could feel Cedric's eye drifting up at me. i looked down and looked at him.
"yes?" i asked sleepily.
"will you go to the dance with me?"
i had been completely thrown.
"what?" i spluttered.
"will you.. go to... the dance... with me" he said again.
i stared at him.
"why?"
he laughed.
"you look sad. i'm assuming your um... boyfriend" he looked at me waiting for me to say i didn't have a boyfriend but i said nothing and he continued.
"didn't ask you.. and i know it's only a few more days and maybe he did ask but—"
"yes. yes i'll go to the dance with you" i smiled.
"as a friend" i reminded him.
"of course" he said immediately.

i looked at him with a furrowed brow.
"you like someone don't you?"
"hm?" his cheeks turned pink. i smiled.
"come on. tell me" i pushed, feeling more awake now.
"alright. alright" he set down the quill and scooted closer to me.
"Cho Chang" he said, trying so hard to keep back his smile but failing miserably.
i smiled.
"that's not shocking"
"what does that mean?"
"you talk about her a lot. i catch you staring at her" i laughed.
there was a pause of silence.

"why didn't you ask her?"
"i tried but, she already has a date and well. you looked like you could use one" he said with a slight smile on his lips.
i smiled back. "ouch.. but, thank you. i'm sorry about Cho"
"it's okay, i think she might like me back"
"really?!"
"yes"
"that's great!"
"alright, stop"
i smiled and he continued to work on my paper.