Chapter 49

*Cassidy's P.O.V*

Daddy had swept in and saved me from Mommy. He swept me away, taking me downstairs. I giggled the whole time as I heard Mommy following after us. Daddy ducked around a corner, stepping into a closet and shutting it behind him. He covered my mouth with his hand and I pouted as I did the same to him.

I heard Mommy walk past and once she was gone, Daddy stepped out and went back up the nursery room. I looked at him curiously as he sat me down in the pile of stuffed animals. Daddy hushed me as he went over to the closet, getting out a bunch of blankets. He draped one end inside my crib, using stuffed animals to weigh it down.

Once he did that, he moved over to pull the rocking chair closer and draped the other end over it. He used more stuffed animals to weigh that end down. He left a stuffed rabbit with me because when he had tried to take it from me, I had promptly tried to bite his arm.

"Brat," he huffed as he looked at the little fort that he had built. He picked me back up, ducking under the little roof of it as he sat me down. He had to go back to get my rabbit which I accepted happily. "Now you stay here, hide from Mommy if she comes and I'll go get you some milk," he promised.

"Daddy," I whined as I reached for him. He paused, coming back to kiss my forehead as he smoothed my hair back.

"I will be right back. You have to guard our fort or else the old dragon will come and tear it down," he whispered to me. I pouted but nodded my head, holding my rabbit even closer. Daddy left my room quickly and I laid down on my belly, looking after him with a worried look.

It wasn't long before Mommy came in and I scooted back, hissing when it caused some pain in my belly. I had to lay still and Mommy knelt down in front of the fort. I hid my face behind my bunny which made her chuckle.

"Why are you hiding from Mommy silly girl?" she asked as she reached for me. I squealed as I wriggled away from her.

"Daddy said a dragon is coming," I whispered to her. Mommy raised an eyebrow as she seemed to ponder that.

"Oh did he?" Mommy asked. I nodded my head and she hummed, a small smile on her lips. "You stay right here baby," she said as she got up. I watched her walk around the fort and she hid beside the crib.

My attention was taken away from her when Daddy came back into the room. He looked around when he entered before approaching the fort. "I think we hid from the dragon very well, little one," he whispered as he held out a bottle to me. I accepted it right as Mommy popped out and wrapped her arms around his shoulders.

"Not so fast," she said quietly. He let out an exaggerated yell as he fell back, taking Mommy with him. I watched them curiously as I brought the bottle up to my face, taking a sip of it. It was delicious, a sweetness to it like nothing I had drank before. The milk looked a little pink, like food coloring had been added to it.

"Help me Cassie," Daddy said as he reached out to me. I hesitated for a moment before crawling over to him. I grabbed onto his hand, trying to pull him closer to me and away from Mommy. I only managed to slide him a little bit before Mommy grabbed him and held him down.

"You can't help him," Mommy said as she sat on Daddy's stomach. She smirked down at him as he tried to wriggle away. "I win," she said just as he twisted over and knocked her off. He crawled under the fort, taking my bunny and tossing it in her face.

"Mean," I cried out as I stopped sipping on my bottle and smacked him with the palm of my hand. He looked at me as I pouted at him with my arms crossed over my chest.

"Sometimes sacrifices must be made in order for others to survive the dragon," Daddy said as he shrugged. My eyes narrowed and I sat my bottle down carefully as I looked at him. Then I shoved at him, trying to push him out of the fort.

"You can has him, I want bun bun back," I whined as I kept pushing at Daddy. He grabbed onto my leg when Mommy started to drag him out and brought me along with him. I squealed as I looked up at the bright lights, feeling a giggle escape me as Mommy stood over me.

"He's a mean old man. Shall we beat him up, my baby dragon?" Mommy asked. I nodded my head as I rolled over to sit on my knees, looking at Daddy with a frown. I draped myself across his chest, pinning him down. He groaned as he tickled my side just barely, making my body shake with giggles.

"Oh I have been betrayed," Daddy said as he faked dying, his tongue sticking out as he lay still. I turned over to look at him, squealing when he suddenly moved and stood up. "I shall defeat you evil dragons," he declared.

"Sure you will," Mommy said as he wrapped his arms around her. He lifted her up, pretending like he was going to drop her. "Markus, you put me down this instant," she huffed.

"There is no Markus here, I am a knight and I must slay the evil dragon," Daddy said as he spun her around. She laughed as he did the and then set her down, letting her regain her balance as he looked at me.

"No," I shook my head quickly, trying to scoot back. I grabbed my bottle like it would save me but he picked me up anyways, spinning me around before setting me in my crib.

"I have caged the baby dragon, now I shall vanquish you," he said to Mommy. He took off after her as I plopped down, curling up with my bottle. I felt something suddenly hit my leg and realized that one of them had tossed my bunny to me. I grabbed it, holding it close and hiding my face into its neck.