Chapter 3

What Diego looks like

Cassidy was nervously pacing the foyer of her living room, making Diego watch her. "Don't look at me like that. I'm nervous Dieg," she said as she pet him. "Why on earth would they possibly want to talk to me?" She asked herself.

Diego whined as he licked her hand before rolling on his back to allow for belly rubs. Cassidy obliged, rubbing his belly while lost in thought. "I've got to go over there, once I'm back I'll take a nice, long bubble bath and contemplate my life," she told herself as she straightened up, having bent down to rub Diego's belly.

She made her way to the door, putting on the security system before leaving her house. She walked towards the fence, glad that there was a little gate that she could use to get to the Wolf's property instead of having to walk all the way around.

Cassidy tugged on the gate, making it squeal loudly as it was pulled open. "Damn gate," she whispered while slipping through the gap between the gate and the fence. She shut it behind her, dusting herself off quickly.

"Well I'm in their yard now, best not procrastinate," Cassidy sighed as she hesitantly started to trudge her way  towards their front door. 'I could just leave and skip out on this, Mrs. Wolf isn't my caregiver so I don't technically have to listen to her,' she was thinking to herself, even as she rang their doorbell. 

"Good, you came," Mrs. Wolf said as she opened the door. "Come in," she said, ushering Cassidy inside.

"You didn't leave me much of a choice," Cassidy murmured as she looked around. The Wolf's always had some kind of ongoing project but it didn't seem to be obvious at first. Then the baby proofing stuff made its self obvious. The gates on the doorways and the playpen that was peeking out of the living room.

"Oh don't mind those things, I occasionally watch little's when their caregivers have to work," Mrs. Wolf. "So it's kind of always up, I've had it up for a year now," she shrugged.

'Impressive lie, but she forgot I was here two months ago and none of this stuff was up,' Cassidy thought. "Uh-huh sure," she said. Mrs. Wolf seemed to ignore her as she led Cassidy to the dining room, pulling a latch on a babygate up making it swing open.

"Watch your step," Mrs. Wolf said as she carefully to the step down from the hallway to the dining room. Cassidy rolled her eyes and simply hopped down the step. "Be more careful please," Mrs. Wolf said as she frowned.

"It's literally one step, I'm not gonna fall and even if I did it wouldn't hurt," Cassidy said.

"That's not the point, I'm telling you not to do it. Do it again and I have no issue punishing you," Mrs. Wolf said as she stared down at Cassidy, her eyes holding a flicker of anger.

Cassidy would be lieing if she said she wasn't intimidated, Mrs. Wolf stood at a solid 5'7" and she stood at a measly 5'3". "Yes ma'am," Cassidy squeaked out as she looked down.

"I'm...sorry Cassidy. As I said, I'm used to babysitting and sometimes it's hard to not be a mother hen," Mrs. Wolf sighed.

"It's fine," Cassidy said as she shrugged. "It's your house, your rules," she murmured.

"It's not though, I'm neither your caregiver nor babysitter so I have no right to punish you nor tell you what you can and can't do," Mrs. Wolf said. "Let me know if I ever overstep," she said.

"Alright," Cassidy said as she nodded her head.  "Now onto the important matter: did you make the apple tarts?" She asked.

"I did, I'd prefer that you wait until after dinner to eat them though," Mrs. Wolf said.

"Fine, you're so mean to me Mrs. Wolf," Cassidy whined playfully as she rolled her eyes.

"You know you can call me Lillian right?" Mrs. Wolf said with a small smile on her face.

"Alright Mrs.- Lillian," Cassidy smiled as she nodded her head.

"Now I hope you're hungry, I made some chicken and fries. It's simple yet filling," Lillian said.

"Sounds good. Where's Mr. Wolf?" Cassidy asked

"He had to stay late and do some work. He doesn't tend to come home until midnight when he's working overtime," Lillian explained.

"Do you ever work overtime?" Cassidy asked curiously as she sat down at the table.

"Sometimes," Lillian said as she fixed a plate for Cassidy and handed it to her before making herself a plate. "I tend to be better at working than my husband though," she shrugged simply.

"Ooh you had to diss him," Cassidy said as she started eating.

"A little bit yes," Lillian chuckled as she cut her chicken up before she started eating.

Cassidy smiled as they ate silently for the most part. Once she was finished she looked up at Lillian innocently. "Apple tart now please?" She asked.

"In one moment, once I'm done eating darling," Lillian said as she smiled softly.

"Alright," Cassidy said as she sat quietly.

"Why don't you go into the living room? Put on a show for us to watch while we eat dessert," Lillian said.

"Okay," Cassidy said as she got up. "Is the baby gate unlocked?" She asked.

"Yes," Lillian said as she smiled wryly watching Cassidy leave the room.