97. The End

Luna and Carly joined Voldemort's side, as did several other Slytherins, since they all wanted to fight for their dark lord.
But once Voldemort had taken down the shield around Hogwarts castle, he didn't send the girls into battle with everybody else. Instead, he brought them along to the Shrieking Shack with him and Nagini, to hide until someone found Harry, and brought the boy to him.
Neither Luna nor Carly was particularly happy, about having to stay behind.

"My lord, why can't we fight with Bella and the other death eaters?" Questioned Carly, who didn't like being held back, while the fight raged on.
"Because Bella has experience in a battle, and you two do not" answered Voldemort.
"But my lord, we've been training for this moment for years, and we also fought at the Ministry like 2 years ago, and we came out alive then" reminded Luna.
"You may have been there at the time, but you did not fight alongside Bellatrix and the others, for your service to me was still a secret. And I do not want to throw two inexperienced fighters into this battle, for there is too much at stake... Besides, I have other reasons for holding you back tonight" revealed Voldemort.

"Do you have a special mission for us, my lord?" Asked Carly excitedly.
"In a way" replied Voldemort.
"What is it?" Quizzed Luna.
"The task is actually just for Carly, and I would encourage you to leave the room while I give it to her" admitted Voldemort.
Luna stepped closer to Carly and took hold of her hand, "What we do, we do together. So, unless you order me out of the room, I intend to stay by her side".
"Very well" sighed Voldemort.

Voldemort peered out the window, to watch the battle for a few moments, before turning back to face the girls.
"I have a problem" he said quietly.
"What kind of problem, my lord?" Questioned Carly.
Voldemort pulled out his wand, and began spinning it around in his hands.
"This wand does not seem to obey me, as my last wand did" informed Voldemort.
"Why is that?" Quizzed Carly.

"Well, as you are aware, I had to get a new wand, since mine shared a core with your brother's wand. So, I chose to take Dumbledore's wand, as it was quite a powerful wand. Now, most wands change their allegiance when their master is defeated in combat. And as you know, I did not kill Albus Dumbledore. You did. Which is why this wand is not behaving the way it should for me" said Voldemort.
"So, you need to beat me in combat, and win my wand's allegiance, in order to make that wand obey you?" Asked Carly.

"I'm sure that would work for most normal wands. However, this wand is more special than any other wand. It is called the Elder Wand, and often referred to as the death stick" revealed Voldemort.
"The Elder Wand is a myth. It's an item in a childrens book. The story of the Three Brothers is not based on real events, despite what my dad may believe" said Luna.
"Does this look like a figment of my imagination, or a children's toy, Miss Lovegood?" Demanded Voldemort, as he raised his wand.
"Of course not, my lord" Luna replied quickly.

"It took me a great deal of time to track down this wand, and realise that Dumbledore had possessed it all along. Those who spoke of the wand, assured me that it contained incredible magic. Yet, nothing extraordinary has happened when I have used it, thus far. I have come to the conclusion that this is because I have not yet earned the wand's allegiance. This wand is called the death stick, for a reason, and I believe that is because its previous master must always be killed, before it will obey a new one" informed Voldemort.
"I'm sure that's not true, my lord. Disarming someone in combat, is all that is needed to gain their wand's allegiance" insisted Luna.

"So, you think you know better than Lord Voldemort, do you?" Frowned Voldemort.
"Of course not, my lord, but I-" started Luna.
"Whether it is necessary or not, is not important. For I will do whatever it takes to ensure that this wand obeys me, and no one else... You have been a good and loyal supporter, Miss Potter, but you have outlived your usefulness. The only thing you can do for me now, is die, so that this wand will work for me. For only I can live forever" revealed Voldemort.