F O U R T Y - S I X

CHAPTER FOURTY-SIX: AS THE MANOR BURNS DOWN

EMILIA 

DARKNESS WAS THE ONLY THING I FELT...

DARKNESS AND...PEACE? 

WHAT THE HELL? 

My eyes popped open and I found that I was still wrapped up in Kai's arms. 

He held me firmly to him, his eyes shut tight. 

"Kai" I whispered, nudging him "Kai, open your eyes." 

"Are we dead yet?" he whispered back. 

"I don't think so" I said "But I don't know for sure." 

"You're not dead" A familiar voice and giggle rang out from behind us "Quite the opposite in fact." 

We turned, Kai still keeping me close to his side, and watched as Sebastien and Amalia Devereux appeared in front of us out of thin air, their clothes different than the ones we last saw them wearing. 

Their outfits were bright, sparkling, and it look exquisitely dazzling amidst the current darkness of the void we were standing in. 

Kai sucked in a sharp breath, gripping my hip tightly in his hand. 

"If we're not dead, then why are you here?" he asked "Oh no, are you here to welcome us into heaven? Because I'm not to sure I belong there." 

I snorted out a laugh as Sebastien shot him a dark look. 

"We're not here for that" Amalia giggled at his antics "We're here to take you home." 

I narrowed my eyes at her words "How do we know this isn't a trick?" 

Sebastien rolled his eyes "It's not." 

"And we're supposed to take your word for it?" I snorted "I don't think so." 

"Believe what you want" He inclined his head "But we just wanted to say something before you left us for good." 

Amalia stepped forward gripping my hands "Thank you so much for rescuing us from that curse." 

I tensed quickly, wondering if I should let my guard down, when I looked into her eyes and saw complete sincerity. 

"I'm sorry we couldn't do more" I whispered "I wish we could have saved you."