Grief

Draco's POV 

It's been two months since we all lost Mar. It's been a month since the funeral, which I didn't attend. Not only was I trying to process what happened, but I just felt so guilty. I could not show my face there. If I didn't feel this guilt I would have said my last goodbye, even though I cannot let her go. The mark contributes to all the deaths that day. I didn't attend Fred Weasley's funeral either. No matter how much Harry has seen that I am not part of them, I cannot help but feel that I contributed to this. 

It was the day of the trial. A lot of the Death Eaters were put into Azkaban and at this point I wanted to rot in there with the way I was feeling. We had separate trials. My father was yesterday and I mean he had absolutely no leg to stand on, he killed Mara's mother even after Voldemort died along with other innocent witches and wizards. He was sentenced to Azkaban, which did not seem to affect my mother the same as it did last time. They spoke about getting divorced weeks back, I just didn't realise how true it was. She no longer did not feel anything, she was tired of being this awful person because of her sister and husband. Since Bellatrix died my mother visited my Aunt Andromeda. Since she not only lost her husband but her daughter and son in law too, she really needed some support. I don't know how the visit went, but I finally saw a smile on my mother's face. Her trial was also yesterday. Harry testified and explained how she lied to Voldemort about being dead. She also did not have much involvement when it came to the Death Eaters, she did not have a dark mark and the judges took this as a positive, so she was free. 

I felt nothing but numbness during my trial. 

"So you are telling us Mr Malfoy that you joined the Death Eaters just to protect a girl?" 

"Yes. The dark lord would have killed her, if I did not join and do the mission." I replied. 

"Do you expect us to believe this?" 

"To be honest, I am not expecting you to." 

"And I understand that you did not kill Albus Dumbledore?" 

"No." 

"Then why did you help the death eaters?" 

"Like I said to protect her." 

"No other questions for Mr Malfoy." 

They brought Harry back to testify for my trial. 

"So Mr Potter, I understand that you saw the murder of professor Dumbledore?" 

"Yes I did." 

"Could you please explain the event."

"At first it was just Draco and Dumbledore. Dumbledore tried to explain that he had other choices after Draco disarmed him. Draco explained how he was doing this for Mara Blanc, that he did not want her killed. Draco lowered his wand a lot, you could tell that he did not want to kill Dumbledore. Once the other death eaters arrived and Severus Snape stepped in, he lowered his wand. Snape was the person to kill Dumbledore." 

"I also understand that Draco was the one to give you a wand during the Battle of Hogwarts which helped you defeat Voldemort." 

"Yes he did." 

"Thank you for testifying Mr Potter." 

After Harry left the chair, Ginny appeared. 

"Hello Miss Weasley, please tell us your statement." 

"I think people really don't understand how much Draco has helped during our time at Hogwarts. During the seventh year at Hogwarts he played a big part in protecting Dumbledore's Army. When me, Neville Longbottom, Luna Lovegood and Mara Blanc went into Severus Snape's office to retrieve the sword of Gryffindor. We were caught and Draco blamed it on himself so that we did not receive horrible punishments. When Luna was kidnapped and imprisoned at his home, he was trying to figure out the best way to free her. You could really tell that Draco did not want to become a death eater, but he did to protect the person he loved." Ginny stated.