The Ghost From The Past

Mara's POV 

I set off in the morning to head to the farmland village. I have worked as an Auror for a while, but this was the most nerve-racking job I had to do. 

I apparated to the small forest next to the little house that the death eaters were hiding in. You could not fault them for being smart, I wouldn't expect a death eater to live on a farm. I think they knew that if they blended into muggle life as much as possible, they would not be caught. No Auror would know this, yet Draco had some kind of idea of this due to his family.  I think his past affairs gave him an advantage, I just wouldn't expect this from him. 

I set up camp just in case, using the protection charm around me, so that no one could see me. AI brought my own mask, so that I could hide my identity from him. The last thing I wanted was for him to know that I am alive. I wanted everyone to keep it from him, I'd much rather him move on and marry Astoria than dwell on our past. 

Hours went by, I just sat by my tent reading one of my mothers favourite muggle books Little Women. I still remember the day that Draco read Pride and Prejudice to me in the library. He may have rejected me that day, but it still means a lot to me. 

I was soon distracted by branches breaking near me. This was my first time seeing him so close, smelling his aftershave, breathing the same air as him. My impulse wanted me to just run at him, tell him I am alive, that we can do this together. Deep down I knew what I had to do. He was walking further away from me and getting close to the house. 

He stood there for a second before setting the house on fire. 

Draco's POV 

Once the house sat on fire, five death eaters came running out. Nerves rushed through my body as they had their wands at the ready to attack me. I took a deep breath before I took the first one out. All kinds of spells were used, something was stopping me from using the killing curse. The fire burnt down the house and spread across the grass which took out another death eater. I watched it all unfold. The looks I was given as they realised who I was, in that moment I felt nothing but power. I felt their fear as they heard of my name in the daily prophet. I tilt my head, cracking my neck before giving the third death eater what he deserves. 

"Crucio." 

Distracted by fighting one of the death eaters I was hit with the curse. I fell to my knees as the pain travelled through my body. 

"Crucio" 

The curse was used again. 

Just kill me, I have nothing to live for. Was the thought running through my mind as my whole body hit the floor. My vision was blurred but I noticed a figure coming towards the scene. 

"Crucio." 

Third time. My body became numb. Still trying to see what was going on, I saw a girl. She wore a mask, using a spell I have not encountered before. Striking the three death eaters. My eyes closed as she approached me. Was I dying? 

"Draco?" She asked. 

I might have been passed out but that voice. Was I hallucinating again? What the fuck is going on? 

"Draco wake up." 

There it was again. 

"Please wake up." 

I am trying. 

I felt her touch as she placed me onto her knees, taking off my mask. Placing her bare forehead onto mine. I'm assuming she took her mask off before placing me onto her knees. That touch, I know that touch. I was definitely either hallucinating or dreaming. 

"I'm sorry I should have told you, I should've told you first." 

Told me? Told me what? 

"I'm alive Draco, it's me Mara." 

Mara? 

I felt my body move. I sensed a change in scenery and just moments later I felt my body being picked up by two people and transferring me onto a bed. 

"Mr Malfoy?  I am Dr Triggs, you were apparated here, I am going to take care of you." 

No where are you? Did you leave me? Please come back to me. 

Mara's POV 

The thought of losing him in my arms and not telling him the truth would kill me. Even if he doesn't die, I needed to tell him. 

I knew that the safest place I could take him was to St Mungos, before going into the Ministry. 

I storm into Mr Robards office. 

"The masked killer is in St Mungos for you and I think you may be shocked as to who it may be." 

"As much as I do not appreciate you storming into my office unannounced, please do tell me Miss Blanc." He replies. 

"It was Draco Malfoy." 

"Definitely not a name I was expecting, but it makes sense. I was at his hearing, revenge is what he is seeking. The girl he did everything to protect died in his arms, did you know he joined the death eaters to protect your life?" 

I nodded. 

"You saved his life, why?" He asked. 

"He showed everyone that day whose side he was truly on, the last thing I wanted was for him to die after he tried everything to show people who he truly was. I had thoughts about the charmed necklace working, so I sacrificed my life for the sake of his." 

"Now did you know that your necklace was a horcrux?" 

"Wait what?" I asked confusedly. 

"After your mother died, your father killed a death eater whose soul attached onto that necklace round your neck. Your father told you it was some kind of protection charm, when in reality you were wearing someone else's soul to keep yourself alive. I admire your father for the lengths he took to protect you." 

"How do you know all of this?" 

"He told me in his letter." He muttered. 

I felt disgusted with the fact that all this time I was wearing someones soul around my neck. It was the same thing that Voldemort used so he could become somewhat immortal. 

"Please Mr Robards, don't punish him." I pleaded.

"I told you Miss Blanc, I just want the masked killer to be part of our team. With his knowledge we can sentence a lot of death eaters. I think the pair of you along with Harry Potter could be powerful Auror's." 

"Then I have one favour of you to ask." 

"Go ahead." He replied. 

"Draco wanted nothing more than to play Quidditch as a professional player. Can you make this happen later down the line?" I asked. 

"I cannot make any promises." 

I knew that I would not get any other answer out of him. 

"You can reveal my identity, you can tell them the truth about everything. Have a good rest of your day Mr Robards."

I had some relief with the reassurance that Draco would not be punished.

I went back to St Mungos to visit Draco. As I headed towards his room, I saw Narcissa standing over him. I knew that this was not the right time, so I left. If he didn't hear anything I told him while I held him, then he would find out tomorrow morning when the new daily prophet is released.