Diagon Alley

Draco's POV

Since the proposal was published, I had many questions from Blaise. I couldn't admit to him that this marriage was arranged a week ago by my mother and Astoria's father. My mother knew that I could not love Astoria, but the way I have been since Mara died hurt her. She thought she was doing the right thing and no matter how many times I argued against it, there was nothing I could say or do to change her mind.

My love for Mara will never die, I will never move on from her, no matter how many times I can try. She will always be the one for me.

I headed downstairs to grab some breakfast. My mother stood in the kitchen with a cup of tea in her hand.

"Good morning." I muttered.

"Good morning darling, there some scrambled eggs on the side and there is bread in the toaster."

"Thanks mother."

"Are you still free this afternoon so that we can get your suit."

"Yeah."

I really did not want to go, I had big doubts about the marriage. I knew that Mara would want me to be happy and that I now needed someone to keep the Malfoy name, but not at an expense of me not being happy.

"I know that this is hard for you, but it is for the best." She said.

"Yeah, I know."

I buttered my toasts and sat myself down at the table.

A lot was going through my mind. I think I deep down knew that this was not going to work, between me and Astoria. I hid the real me and now I have to hide the fact that I could never love her fully.

I went back up to shower. When I entered my room, my eyes laid on the picture on my bedside table. I miss her smile, her laugh, her touch. Just everything about her I miss. I tried my hardest not to cry, but every time I looked at that picture of us, no matter how much I tried to stop myself, a tear would slip out of my eyes. I think lying to myself about trying to be okay with moving on from her made it harder for me. I never thought anyone could make me see myself in the way Mara did.

Before her, I hated myself.

Before her, I could not feel.

Before her, I was scared of being my true self.

If it wasn't for her, I would probably be one of the death eaters in hiding.

It didn't really take long to find suit that my mother would like. As looked myself in the mirror I saw a familiar figure in the mirror. I thought I was hallucinating, but as I watched her walk past through the window. It took me a minute to gather myself before running out of shop.

"'Mara!" I yelled.

I began to jog to try and catch up with her. I was stuck between as group of people and I lost her.

I felt like I was going crazy, first the masquerade ball and now Diagon Alley, but this time I saw her face, I saw her in bright daylight. She walked through the crowds like she did not die months ago. 

As I stood in the middle of the street my mother caught up to me. 

"Darling are you alright?" She asked. 

"It was her mother." 

"Draco I don't think it was." 

"I saw her mother, I am not going crazy like everyone thinks I am. I saw her through the window, it was her and clearly people are lying to me at this point." 

"No one thinks you are crazy Draco, people know that you are grieving." 

"Then why out of all people, you are the one rushing me to be with someone I have no love for." I muttered.

"Darling, I think you deserve to be happy and I also think there is someone else out there for you." 

"Why don't you let me look for that person, instead of making me marry someone I have no interest in." 

"I think you don't realise how much you might like this girl. You may not feel the same feelings for Astoria as you did for Mara, but you do have that little look of love for her and I think she could be your next person if you just let Mara go." She added. 

"Let her go. Mother I don't actually think you understand what I am feeling at all. I lost the girl that made me the person that I am, the girl who I wanted everything with, the only person who knew my true intentions, supported and defended me. She was everything and more to me. I keep thinking that she is still alive and it's making me crazy. Everyone grieved her, but I can't because I have this weird feeling about letting her go. Every star I look at in the sky reminds me of her and I am not ready to love another person, but I will do it just to make you happy. I have been used to being unhappy my whole childhood and I can do it again." I said. 

"Darling-" 

"You don't need to say anything else mother, I will go back and pay for this suit before the assistants think I ran off with it." I interrupted. 

Walking back I realised I think it was just my mind playing tricks on me, since she died I lost myself again and I honestly feel like a crazy person. 

Mara's POV 

I knew it was a bad idea walking through Diagon Alley in bright daylight, but I did not know that Draco would be there today. When I heard his voice call my name, my heart ached. I wanted nothing more but for him to know that I am here, I am alive. I just could not bring myself to do it, I felt all kinds of emotions when he called my name. I felt nerves, happiness, sadness and my heart started racing, I couldn't breathe. 

I did not want to ruin his chance of being happy with someone else at the cost of seeing me alive. I want him to still think that I am dead for as long as he can so that he can marry her and be happy. I know that he will find out eventually through people, but I can't bring myself to tell him. If that means that I will watch him have the life that we planned then that is okay, I am happy to do that.

When I returned back to the ministry, I had to make a plan to catch Draco. My plan was to lure him into a trap and signal other Auror's to catch him so that he did not see me. No one else knows that it is Draco and I made sure to ask what would happen after he gets caught. I knew that he would not get sent to Azkaban for this, if anything the ministry just wanted to catch him and speak to the person behind these killings. Mr Robards wasn't upset at the fact that the death eaters were being killed, he was just upset that someone was doing it for him. It would not surprise me if he was offered a job as an Auror, as it seems that he knows where the death eaters are hiding. 

During my research I found that some death eaters are hiding in a small farmland village in the south of England. I planned to set off at night and camp there until Draco arrived. 

I went back to Luna's to pack some things that I would need for the trip. Luna was worried for me, but I reassured her that I would be okay and that I just needed to do this job. She made me loads of goodies to take with me so that I would not go hungry. I appreciated her so much, she has allowed me to stay in her home to allow me to look for my own place, she let me break the news in my own time and she has been there for me through everything. I don't know what I would do without her.