Feud

A couple of weeks later. 

Mara's POV 

I sat by the river, I needed to clear my head. Me and Draco spoke of living here in France, this sort of exact village. A small neighbourhood where no one knows us, living in a cute cottage where we would finally be at peace. It pains me that I cannot tell him the truth, the fact that I am still alive, I am still breathing. We breathed the same air a of couple weeks ago and I could just see into his eyes how much the thought of me hurt him. His touch is what I wanted to feel for the past few weeks. All the notes that he would send me through his owl I kept, it was the only thing that would remind me of his voice. I think at times I wished that after what happened to me I could erase the moments with Draco. It's torture for me to think of him everyday, crave him constantly and I just feel that if neither of us remembered what there was between us we would be able to be happy. I saw the change in him, his pale skin reminded me of how concerned I was for him back in sixth year. He was skinny again and I could just tell that he was no longer happy in himself. It pained me knowing that I could do something to change this, but my father would not let me. I am making him suffer and all I want to do is make sure that he is happy. Luna told me that he just rots away in the Manor trying his best to support his mother after Lucius went back to Azkaban.

As I walked into the living room, I saw my father reading the daily prophet.  As I read the front cover my body trembled a little. 

"A masked death eater murderer, killing the pardoned death eaters. Are they seeking clarity or are they seeking revenge?" 

There was just a picture of his back with his hood up, you could tell who it was by their posture. 

"Papa?" I asked softly. 

"Oh Mar, I didn't hear you come in. Are you alright?" 

"Pa I need to talk to you about something." 

"What is it?" 

"Well is it more of a question." 

"Just speak Mar." 

"Why can't Draco know?"

"I knew you would ask this." 

"Father." 

He sighed. 

"We are not discussing this tonight Mara. I think you know deep down why he cannot know." 

"Pa, I jumped in front of him. I was protecting him, he did not deserve to-"

"I sacrificed so much for you, how dare you!" He exclaimed, interrupting me mid sentence.

"You are just like everyone else, you all misjudge him all the time. He was the only one who protected me during my time at Hogwarts. He fought his own aunt to protect me, he was the one who protected me and my friends when we were trying to steal the sword. I saw him at the ball, even the slightest thought of it being me broke him. You think that he wanted me to sacrifice myself for him, he did not. If it was his choice, he would have taken the curse, he would have died that day." 

"You went to the ball, I told you not to step foot out of this house!" 

"I had to see him." I cried. 

"I am beyond disappointed in you." 

"You had the ministry cover up my death and what for?" 

"Enough!" He yelled.

"We could go back and I could actually be happy, but you are making me miserable, this life here is miserable. The ministry told us that we could go back and they would solve it, yet you are being selfish." 

"Protecting you is now selfish?" 

"Yes father this is selfish you are not protecting me, you are strangling me. I don't want this life, I am sick of hiding and if you don't let me come clean, I will just do it myself." 

"You will not go behind my back again, I am skilled enough to charm this whole house so that you will not leave my sight." He threatened. 

"I cannot keep him in the dark any longer, these past few months have been torture for me, you could have just made it easier and made me forget him, but you didn't." 

"I will happily do it right now if you carry on." 

That's when I realised that whatever my father was doing was just to protect his own back. I ran up to my room to pack my things. I was surprised that he did not follow me or that he didn't charm the house. I knew that whenever he was angry he needed time to calm down, I took this opportunity to leave. Once I packed my stuff into my case I apparated to the portkey. I knew I needed to leave, I knew I could not stay here much longer. This secret has gone on for too long and it is hurting people and most importantly the person I care about the most. 

I only knew of one place that I could go to. I couldn't just show up at the Manor, I couldn't just show up in Diagon Alley. I first need to clear things up with the ministry before I tell Draco. I wasn't yet ready for the moment where I would have to come clean to him, I sort of knew he would deep down despise me for a while. Me hiding from him when I could have done this much sooner. The staged funeral, the fake grave that I know he visits every Sunday laying down a bouquet of lily's, I think deep down he knew what a lily flower symbolises, the symbol of rebirth laid down on my grave. Yet he did not know that I was reborn the same day he thought he lost me. 

I knocked on Luna's door. 

"Mara what are you doing here?" She asked. 

"I cannot stay in France any longer, I need to come clean."