29. La Familia.

Family

Family. A word so small yet carries one's entire world in it. Family was all I had known until I was eighteen. My friends came from my family. They were my life. I don't remember even talking to someone else in school. Neither did Suhana. We were it for eachother and outside, it was the four of us, later in 6th standard— the six of us. It was enough, we were enough. We had found love, we had found friends for lifetime... all in families.

Then, I left. I left and I saw the world from naked eyes. The mean, mean world. I not only heard but saw, best friends who cheated on the other one with the love of their life. Lovers, who were in love one second and in the arms of someone else, in the other. Family, who pulled down other family members for wealth or just for fun. I was picked up from being wrapped in the bubble wraps of love and protection and was dumped in the ocean of hatred, jealousy and despair all around me. Selfishness. So much selfishness!

I was scared of my own shadow in the starting day. Trusting someone was always hard, but this time... I was scared of even talking. If it weren't for Ellie and Killian, I think I wouldn't have ever made it back here in one piece. One day they saw me and decided that I'm going to be their Indian friend. They decided that they were going to be the only two people I will put my faith on for the next five years and I'm glad. I'm glad they did that.

Life was still pretty hard but now I had someone to wipe off my tears after a bad day or week. Killian would go on hunting spree, that's a different thing. Killian treated me the worst. He would bully me just like Sahil bullies Falak, but just like him, Killian would kill anyone else who tried to come in my way. For him, roasting me, is only his right! Only he could tease me, bully me, prank me and then buy me desserts after I start scowling at him.

But, that didn't mean that between all this... I wasn't reminded of how my brother treated me. How Advik would tease me. How my big brother would take my side even when I was wrong when I had a fight with his bestfriend. How my brother would spend not hours but nights looking after me when I was ill. How he would sneak in my room just because he didn't want to sleep alone.

I went from having a permanent roommate to sharing space with strangers who despised my presence. I went from having a comfortable life to thinking about how I'm going to pay for my next week's food. I went from having home cooked meals to spending the day just on a jam sandwich. But that didn't hurt as much as living away from these people did. I had millions of people surrounding me day and night and yet, I was lonely. So fluffing lonely, that sometime it hurt to even breathe. My heart craved for that familiarity, that care and love oozing out of everyone around me.

But I had done this. I had pushed these people away and I deserved everything that came my way—

"Ahaana."

"Aahu!"

"Haan?" I'm shaken out of my thoughts with the loud banging of door. "Haanji Dadda!" I run towards my bedroom door and throw it open, coming face to face with my father's fear stricken face.