38. Jigar de tukde.

My face lights up the second I spot my brother and Avni Maa

My face lights up the second I spot my brother and Avni Maa. "Mumma. Bhaiyu." I yell loudly. Everyone around us looks at me weirdly, but I give them no fluffs and quickly cross the distance between my mother and brother. "Meri bachi." Avni Mumma wraps me in a hug, her lips brushing against my head.

"Aapki bahu hai wo. Bacha main hoon." My husband grumbles from somewhere behind me. Jealous much, Sahdev?

"Bas wahi dukh hai. Kaash mere sirf do betiyaan hoti." Mumma says breaking our hug, my brother snorts as his best friend getting insulted by his own mother. I cast a quick glance at my husband who has his lips parted in utter shock at my mother in law's reply. He definitely didn't see this coming, that too from Avni Maa. "I'm glad I moved out." Sahil shakes his head in disbelief.

"Same. But you made my baby move out too." Mumma looks back at me with a pout, I pout back at her. "I miss you, Maa. He tortures me so much. Scares me with his eyes." I blink my eyes to make it seem like I'm trying to hold my tears back. She looks at her son with narrowed eyes, I look behind her to see my husband's eyebrows raised at me.

"Come. We'll tell Rudra and Samyak all about it and then they'll hang him upside down from the balcony for the crows." Mumma pats my cheeks, I smirk at my husband. "Maa. You gave birth to me!" He scoffs.

"I know, your existence is a reminder enough stop shoving it in my face." I burst out laughing at my mother in law's response. Avni Maa grins at her son before pulling him close with his shirt, I step aside, side hugging my brother as the mother-son gets in a hug. He places a kiss on her head. "I leave you alone with Zia and Dad for ten days and now you're also bullying me? What is this behavior, Mumma?"

"I don't want to sound mean but the only reason I was showering you with love all these years was to get you married to my best friend's daughter. Now that's done, I can show you my true colors." The straight face that Avni Maa speaks with has me wheezing like a crackhead. He breaks the hug and leaves without another word; my brother joins his best friend in putting all our luggage in the car. Avni Maa and I grin smugly and high five while my husband gives me the stink eye.

I open the door for Maa and help her in before sliding in. Adv gets behind the wheel and my husband takes the passenger seat. "We should see the will while we have the chance. I bet these people already named everything to her and Falak." My husband looks at his best friend who nods in agreement. Avni Maa chuckles beside me, I sigh leaning against her, she makes me put my head on her chest.

"You tired, Ahaa?" She questions, I hum. "Shika cooked your favorite khichdi." The moment I hear of the dish, my mouth waters. Khichdi. Aaah! This day just got better.

"What about my favorites?" My husband asks, I keep my eyes close knowing all too well he turned sideways and now has his eyes on me. "I don't know. I did ask your chef to steam some broccoli." I snort in my mother's chest. He doesn't reply, but I feel the weight of his gaze on me, and slowly flutter my eyes open.