Chapter Twenty One

In the dimly lit corners of the grand hall, the evening whispers of excitement and anticipation filled the air. A resplendent chandelier adorned the soaring ceiling, casting a radiant glow upon the delicate crystal glasses and sparkling silverware that embellished the tables. The distinguished guests, adorned in their finest attire, exuded an aura of elegance and sophistication befitting the occasion.

Glasses clinked, and delicate waves of champagne sparkled and fizzed as they rose delicately to the lips of refined guests. The melodies of the orchestral instruments weaved through the crowd, embracing hearts with a rhythm that transported them to distant dreams. Conversations ebbed and flowed, each word an invitation to a world far beyond the walls of the grand hall. The captivating night seemed to possess a mystical quality that awakened desires and aspirations, igniting a yearning for more than mere existence.

With each tick of the clock, a crescendo drew near, an invitation to partake in the wondrous enchantment that encapsulated the event. The grandeur of the night seemed to culminate in a single moment, as the clock struck 8. It was in this precise second that dreams would materialize, and destiny would cast its spell upon those bold enough to seize it.

High above, the moon shimmered with an incandescent glow, casting a celestial brilliance upon the tranquil scene. Its soft light imbued the night air with an otherworldly aura, and as it caught sight of the resplendent fountain, it couldn't resist exerting its enchantment upon the waters below. With the moon's caress, the surface of the fountain began to transform into a mirror, an ethereal portal into a realm where dreams intersected with reality.

-The black hair lawyer was sipping her champagne, while she glimpsed at the moon's reflection, waiting eagerly for the angel to talk. After a long moment of silence, she cleared her throat and looked away glimpsing the fountain. "I know you are wondering why am I here" she said "I don't want to disturb your peace, but such curiosity is eating my mind, well to be honest it is a mind blowing, to stand her and have a conversation with you" Layla said calmly. Devers placed her flute, as a soft giggle left her mouth "it is a mind blowing actually, you broke a lot of rules tonight just to stand right next to me" she smirked "I don't wish that your time will go to waste, I urge you to ask before it is to late"

-Layla looked at her while her heart beats fast, she cannot understand the calmness that she feels standing next to her, she cannot even ask, she was afraid from her reaction, why she cannot look through her mind right now? why she cannot hear what she is thinking about? out of no where she found the one who can defy her powers, yet she doesn't want such moment to fall. She gulped the big lump in her throat, while her eyes are filled with her "I am just curious about what is in your mind, at this moment?" she asked fearfully. Devers scoffed "what is in my mind? Among all of the questions you could ask lady Varhmiel, you chose to ask about my thoughts?" she asked confusingly.

-Layla startled and looked away, fear has began to crawl into her body, she felt that she ruined everything just because of her nervousness "Fuck! how can I salvage this! I've ruined it!" she said to herself. Devers turned and looked at her with a small smile "no need to be this nervous, like I said I won't bite" she said calmly "but judging from your question and correct me if I am wrong, you are wondering why you cannot simply be nosy and crawl inside my brain, am I right?". Layla opened her eyes widely as she turned and looked at her "h-how did you-". Devers interrupted "I did my homework, such investigations has to be conducted, to keep my sisters safe" she said calmly.

-She couldn't help but to chuckle. "not bad lady Aegrotus, I suspect nothing less from the famous lawyer, but you are right, I am wondering why I can't be nosy" she said with a smile. She laughed loudly "ok my apologies, but lets be honest having such powers turns you to be such person am I right?" she asked teasingly. She nodded and laughed "yes! it is fun to pick into peoples thoughts, but, I didn't dare to do such thing to my parents just yet" she said "now would you please tell me how are you able to block my powers?" she asked desperately. Devers furrowed her eyebrows "I quite honestly don't know if I could do such thing, but it is not my fault, plus trust me you don't want to dig in inside my mind, my sisters couldn't tolerate with the amount of information that is stored in there" she said.