Meeting The Adams' Family....No, Not The Addams Family

Kerry has let me stay over at her house for the last two days and I'm so glad she has. I know I'm prolonging the inevitable, but I'm not ready to go back to an empty house that will always be empty. I'm not ready to live all alone, by myself.

Kerry told me to make myself at home. Her parents came back for a night and we officially met. They seem pretty cool. They were nothing like I expected. Well, they weren't exactly like I expected. They did wear suits and all of that, with briefcases, but other than that they were so different. They were fun, funny, had some flaws, and treated their workers like family. No wonder Brian loves working here. If I could, I would work here.

I get out of the shower in the guest room I've been sleeping in, and wrap myself in a really nice, comfy towel. It's taken me everything not to steal it and use it as a blanket back at my house.

I dry my hair with a hairdryer that I've gotten used to now. Before I met Kerry. I would let my hair dry by itself. Once I've done that, I pick out one of Kerry's outfits that she's put in the closet for me. Honestly, there's a lot of clothes in this closet that I'm shocked it all doesn't just fall out.

"You should go with the denim mini skirt", a voice says behind me and I turn around to see Mark. I roll my eyes at him, before picking out some jeans, and one of Kerry's less out-there tops.
"Listen, I need to tell you something", Mark says.
I take a pair of cool trainers, and an alright denim jacket.

I give Mark a kiss before heading into the bathroom and closeting the door.
"So what was it you wanted to tell me?", I ask him as I get dressed.
"Oh. Well, you know the other day when you slept at my house and had to climb out out of a window to avoid my parents?", he asks me.
I pull my socks on and tie the shoes.
"Yep, I remember", I tell him through the door, as I slip the jacket on.
"Well...", he starts, not saying anything after that for a while.
I decide to tie my hair up in a bobble, so I brush my hair up into my hand and walk out of the bathroom.

"My parents found out about you and want to meet you at dinner tonight", he tells me. I stop in my steps, still trying to tie my hair up.
"They...want to meet...me?", I ask him, unsure.
"Yeah. My maid, being the stupid, gossip that she is, had let herself in the house while we were there and overheard everything", he explains.

Damn it.

I don't know why I'm starting to get so strange about meeting his parents. It's not like I don't want to meet them. The curiosity has been burning me up. I thought it would be great to meet his parents a couple of days ago. Now, why am I so tense about this whole thing?

It's not because I'm nervous about if they'll like me or not. I know that much. What is it?

"Uh, Devon? Can you please speak?", Mark asks me.
I continue to put my hair in a ponytail before saying anything.
"Um..yeah. That would be great", I tell him. He gives me a look and I have a suspicion that he knows what I'm thinking. Okay, let's test it. I'm thinking of....a baboon.

He gives me a confused look.
He must be able to read my mind.

"Mark, I need to know if you know what I'm thinking", I tell him.
Another confused look.
"I mean, guess what I'm thinking of right now", I say.
"Um...cheesecake?", he asks me.
I breath out a sigh of relief.
"Good. You got it wrong", I say, glad that my thoughts are still mine.
"Okay?".
He thought I was thinking of cheesecake. A good guess, but I wasn't. Why wasn't I thinking of cheesecake? Why was I thinking of a baboon?

I'm more likely to be thinking of cheesecake. Maybe a certain type of cheesecake. Ooh, orange flavoured cheesecake. Or strawberry cheesecake. Or chocolate cheesecake.
"Great. Now you've made me hungry", I mumble.
He wraps an arm around my shoulder, letting out a breathy laugh as he walks with me to the door.
"Where are we going?", I ask, as we walk out of the front door.