A meeting to look forward to

After my little run-in with Nikki, I went back home, closed my door, and put all of the shopping away. I should not have done what I did. I should not have gotten involved with Trey again, after swearing that I would have nothing to do with him, all those years ago. But, I hate to say that I don't regret the idea of getting answers, and getting even with my family. They left dad and I to fend for ourselves. I take out the guitar pick and wish that I could go back all of those years, and live in them. The whole family would still be together, happy, and dad and I wouldn't be living like this. I would be a normal teenager, dad would be working like usual, mum would be around, and Jay would be here to keep me company.

I wish I could go back to those years, but I can't. And why would I want to? Knowing what I know now: that mum would leave, and Jay would leave soon after? Would I want to live back then, knowing that they could leave us at any moment. Suddenly, I feel a new-found respect for dad. He didn't leave. Of course, he isn't here very much, but he still lives here. He stayed with me, and is still.

Making myself something to eat, I try to think what will become of dad and I in the future. Hopefully, I will have enough money to buy a new place, maybe an apartment, and we wouldn't be living in a cold, dank house with empty cupboards, and barely enough food to live off of. I will carry on working, getting more than enough pay, and we won't have to worry about anything.

That's the new picture. I would love to go to college, but dad is more important. Maybe I could have someone look after dad, a carer, whilst I go off to college. Or maybe I'm going too big with this picture. Just not having to worry about money would do.

........

I wake up, extra early, and sort the bills out straight away. I have gotten away with it so far, faking dad's signature whenever needed. With half of them covered, I'm further than normal. I normally take a lot more time to pay even half of the bills off. This new job is paying more than normal, and I get to have a bit of fun whilst I'm at it. A bit longer, and I can pay off the other half of the bills.

Getting ready for school, I take an apple and a water bottle, waiting for Kerry to give me a ride to school. Dad should be back sometime soon. I quickly get a paper and pen, and write a note to him.

Dad,

I need to talk to you as soon as you get in. There's some food in the fridge. Don't take too much. And don't go anywhere. I'll be back at four.

Devon

I hear a knock on the door and put my bag on my shoulder after placing the note in a place where dad will be able to find it. Opening the door, I see Kerry smiling at me.

"Good morning", she says, as she always does.

"Yeah. Morning", I say back.

"You know, your gate is in serious need of fixing", she points out, and I look at it. It's broken off of its hinges still, the paint beyond cracked and dull. There's a bit missing, from when a guy broke it and stole it whilst I was sleeping.

"Yeah. I've noticed", I tell her.

"Ooh. You know that we are very early? Do you think I could have a look around your house?", Kerry asks me, surprising me at her unhidden interest for my house.

"Okay, but I don't think it's your type of...thing", I say, wishing I had come up with a better word.

She steps inside, looking around. She walks into the living room, and towards the kitchen. She makes small noises, like 'ooh', and 'ah'. I find this very awkward, but I don't say anything, waiting for her to shriek at a rat that may have found it's way in. The rats only come at specific times, but I wouldn't put it past them to have came in about now.