The Deal

I wait for them to start talking, but they don't. They just whisper between each other. Not being able to take it anymore, I turn to them.
"What?", I ask, not so kindly. They both stop talking at once.
"Hi Danielle", Kerry says, getting my name wrong.
I roll my eyes at that.
"What do you two want?", I ask them. "We have a deal offer for you", Kerry says, smiling.

I wait for them to carry on, knowing that they will continue to ask me these questions if I don't listen to them now. "The Talent show is coming up. And with all of the harassment from the students, we need a bodyguard", Niamh says, with chewy in her mouth.
"Forget it", I tell them, before walking away.
"Wait", Niamh calls out.
I carry on walking, almost at the end of the corridor.
"We'll pay you $400 a month", Kerry calls out.

I stop, so close to the end of the corridor.
"$400 a month for 5 months", Kerry says, and I know she is smirking behind me, knowing that she's gotten me here. This could help me. I could move out so much sooner. I could have a lot left after these five months, money to spare. All I have to do is protect the idiots behind me. I take a deep breath and turn around. I start walking up to them.

"$400 a month. You aren't joking?", I ask, making sure I'm not being played here.
"Nope. Just a deal. Are you in?", she asks me, holding out her polished and manicured fingernails. I shake her hand.
"I'm in", I say.
"Looks like we've got a deal. Sit with us at lunch and we'll go over a few things", she tells me.

They both smile at me and then turn on their heels in the opposite direction. I turn around and start walking to class. If I knew what would happen, I wouldn't have turned around, I wouldn't have shaken Kerry's hand: I would have walked away. But, I didn't. And this deal would affect me majorly later on.