The past is risen

It's been two weeks since I went shopping with Kerry. I have gotten into the routine now. I get a lift to school from Kerry. I wait at the edge of some random road that I have never been down before, and Kerry picks me up and we get to school. I go to my classes, sitting next to Kerry in the lessons that we both share, and I sit at the populars table. I've had to push a few people away from her, at some points. They keep harassing her, trying to bribe her, or sweeten the deal with a threat. Yes, people have threatened her.

But, I have kept them off of her back. We have had a girly night, where we stayed in and watched chick flicks, painting our nails and all of that girly crap. Apart from that, it was great. We all had a laugh, and nothing went wrong.

....

Walking downstairs, I find that my dad has left the house. Probably at a friends house, or passed out in an alleyway somewhere. The phone rings. I pick it up, confused as to who it is as the caller ID says it's an unknown number.

"Look, stop calling me, Witty. This has gone on for too long!", a female voice rings through in an annoyed tone. I freeze.

"Hello?", she asks.

"Mom?", I ask her, my voice sounding strangled. She doesn't answer straight away.

"Dion?", she asks, and I feel a surge of anger burst through me. I want to tell her that it's Devon, and to tell her off for not knowing her own daughters name, and to all her all sorts of names. I want to demand answers. But, my mouth wasn't working. I couldn't speak. I couldn't say a thing, but stand there, my mouth closing and opening, but no words coming out.

"Mom? Who's on the phone? Is it dad again? Just hang up on him", a voice said on the other end of the phone. The voice was so clear. I knew who it was. I would know that voice anywhere.

It was Jay.

..........

Mom hung the phone up, so all I could hear was the endless beep. I put the phone down, not being able to comprehend what was going on.

Jay was with mom? How? Why? Why did he sound so normal on the phone? How did he find her? How could he stand to be anywhere near her? I felt a surge of rage at them. I knew that mom was being mom, a stupid, old, ignorant cow. But, Jay? I didn't expect this to come from him. I knew he had left me, but I wouldn't have thought he would stoop so low as to track mom down and stay with her.

Taking my bag, I made my way to the street where Kerry would pick me up. She picked me up as always. On the ride to school, I was quiet. I didn't say a thing. Kerry looked concerned, but didn't say anything, probably thinking that I didn't want to talk about it.

Kerry and I walk into school, and we happen to be extra early for once. Without saying anything to her, I turned left and walked towards the music rooms. I unlocked the door and stepped in, not even bothering to close the door. I punched the wall, kicking and hitting, throwing stands and useless things. Once I was finished, I sat in the middle of the floor, and cried. I hardly ever cried. I hadn't cried in ages. But, I couldn't help it. Jay had went to mom. He has forgiven her for leaving dad, probably didn't mind it, thinking that she was right to leave dad. He left me to flop like a fish out of water. He knew I wouldn't be able to take care of dad, and yet he left. He left. Not only that, but he went to mom.

I hear the bell ring for first lesson, and I have to wait a few minutes before standing up. I try to sort the room out, picking things that I had thrown, up. Grabbing my bag in my hand, I head out, walking to lesson.

I'm late. I open the door, muttering an apology from behind the shades I slipped on so no one can see that I had been crying. I sit in my seat, staring into space. Damn, my life is crap. I live with a lunatic drunk, trying to pay the bills and go to school, whilst working for money. I avoid almost every-damn-body. I can't go out without watching my back. I can't do a damn thing! My mom is with some new idiot now, probably, a couple of kids that she actually doesn't treat like shit. And Jay. He's there, too. He's with her. The one who made our lives a misery.