Painful Torture

After a week of being happy again, and with Mark, I feel like a normal teenage girl. I bet most girls would hate to be normal, and would want to be famous, rich and/or have an amazing secret about them that makes them so much better than everyone else. Most girls would kill for those girls lives in books that have amazing lives full of adventure.

If my life were a book, I would not want a single part of it. To have been left by your whole family is a pain I don't think anyone should ever feel. But I did.

I'm lucky to have found someone like Mark and I intend not to screw this whole thing up like I screw everything up.

"Aw. It's so cute that they're in love", Allison says.
"We're in love. We aren't fluffy, pink bunny rabbits that fart rainbows and throw up gummy bears", I tell her.
"Are you sure about that?", Kerry mumbles.

"New topic of conversation please", Rachael begs.
"Hey, I could tell you about what I could hear from the janitors closet this morning", Ryan says.
"I'll pass", Rachael mumbles.

"But-", Ryan starts.
My phone starts ringing. I answer it.
"Hello?".
"Devon. How's the regular high school teen life doing ya?", Nikki asks me.
"What do you want?", I ask, starting to feel annoyed at hearing her voice.
"Well, I want you to move to the Antarctic and be viciously ripped open by Arctic foxes and eaten alive. But that, sadly, is not going to happen any time soon. Trey wants you here at 5 o'clock. Precisely", Nikki tells me.
"What for?", I ask her.
"Can you stop asking me damn questions? I'm not a fûcking Magic 8 ball!", she hisses down the phone.
"Whatever. I'll be there at 5", I tell her.

I hang up and go back to the old board game. I've never played this before in my life until today. And I'm losing. I mean, I'm losing big time and everyone is way ahead of me.

We have a laugh though.
..............

At 5, I enter the building and walk towards the meeting room. When I enter, the room is empty.

Ah, they must have gone inside Trey's office. I open the door and find Trey sat at his desk. No one else is there. This must be another one-on-one meeting. The others must be training in the practice room.
"Devon, sit", Trey says.
There is nothing but an every silence as I move to the chair, sitting down.

"So..what's this about? You found anything else out about the mission?", I ask him.
"Partly", he says.
"But I first need to know the last time you saw Jay", he says.
"You know when I last saw him. The day he ran out", I tell him.
"Just checking. Okay, well, we found out that there are three other people living there as well as Maria and Ian", he tells me. I play it calmly and try to slow my speeding heart rate down.

"What?", I ask him.
"Yes, Maria has children", he continues.
"Seems to me that these two children, who are twins, are ten years old. Which means she had an affair while she was still with your dad", he says.
I nod, looking away from him and trying to be convincing. He has a way of knowing when I'm lying and when I'm telling the truth.
"And the third person is your brother, Jay", he says, and I look up at him, hoping my face is a look of shock and horror.

"B-but he wouldn't. He hated our mom as much as I did", I tell him.
"But there's one other thing", he says, and I'm surprised when he says this. I'm pretty sure there's no other thing.
"You knew all about this months ago", he says. Crap.
"What? No I didn't", I say, but he doesn't look like he's buying it.
"I was going to tell you. I just-", I start.
"Devon, why don't you cut the shît and tell me the truth. You knew all about this, didn't you?", Trey says.
"Yes", I mutter.

"Alright. Is there anything else you want to tell me? Any other lies you want to be truthful about?", he asks me.
"No. None", I say, shaking my head.
"Really? Not even about your boyfriend?", he asks me.
I tense up, and I can feel the air trap in my lungs.
"What? Trey, I don't have a boyfriend. I don't have time for one", I say.
"Really?", he asks me, taking out his phone and pressing play, before giving it to me.