Chapter 9

Upon reaching home, my father was working on his 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle SS; while my mother was gardening. I pulled in and parked my car on the side. I threw my bag over my shoulder and rushed inside, trying to avoid interaction. Luck was not on my side, as my father peeked up from his work. "welcome home my boy. How was the project?"

"It's good. We got it all done this morning. We stayed up really late last night so I'm gonna take a shower and a nap if that's okay?"

"Of course, make sure to grab lunch before heading up. Your mother made sandwiches."

"I will, thanks." I opened the front door and tossed my bag onto the bench before heading into the kitchen. Mom made BLT sandwiches and had fresh fruit out. She never was a bore when it came to meals. She always went above and beyond. I grabbed a sandwich and walked upstairs,; once I reached my bedroom my phone buzzed in my pocket. 

*Buzz Buzz*

I sat down on my bed and opened the messenger icon. "An unknown number?"

^ Unknown number.^

:"Hey Luca, hope you don't mind I used your phone to get your number. Let's meet up tomorrow to discuss our relationship okay? I'd hate you to get the wrong idea that I like you.":

Oh fuck this. I tossed my phone aside and sighed to myself. "I can't believe I did that shit." I shook my head and walked into my bathroom. I stripped down and gasped. I had bite marks all over my body. "Great..Now these will take forever to get rid of." I turned the hot water on in the shower and stepped inside. It felt amazing to finally get the smell of sex and alcohol off my body. 

No way was I doing this again. Twice was enough for me and I'm not ready for that kind of commitment. I know in the spur of the moment I was all for it but I can't keep this up. My parents will find out and they will kill me. 

The shower wasn't long enough but I was so tired and I didn't even bother putting on clothes as I flopped on my bed without thinking to lock my door. It must've been a few hours cause a knock on the door startled me awake. "Luca? Can you help me with something please?"

I blinked my eyes, trying to readjust to the light in my room. "Uh yeah."

"May I come in?"

"Yea."

shit shit shit. 

"Wait?!" My mother opened the door and I quickly covered myself with my blanket. 

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah, just cold."

"Well get up and come help me make dinner. Your father got called into work so it's just me and you tonight."

"I will. Give me a few minutes to get dressed."

She looked at me a bit concerned and walked over immediately taking ahold of my blanket. "Mom no! Please!"

"Luca what is..." She froze mid sentence when she threw the blanket off of me. The pure shock in her face as tears started releasing from her eyes.

Before I could even comprehend anything and try to explain myself, she ran out of my room. "Mom!!! Wait please!" I threw on some boxers and ran after her. She was in the living room, her head in her hands as she was sobbing. 

"Mom?"

"My poor baby.."

"Mom please let me explain."

I sat across from her and tried to get her to at least look at me. 

"Mom it was an accident with a girl. We didn't have sex I promise."

"How..can I trust you?" Her sobs were so loud. 

"Mom please..It won't happen again. It was a mere accident."

She peeked up from her hands and wiped some tears away. "Who?"

"It was a girl named Ashley. I met her at the par..." 

I paused my sentence. 
She looked up more upset than before. "What were you going to say?"
"Nothing.."

She took ahold of my hand and cleared her throat. "Be honest with me."

I struggled to find the right words to say. But she needed to know the truth. "Miles and I went to a party. It was like a small gathering of our school friends to celebrate the new year. I promise we didn't drink or do drugs. We mostly played games and ate pizza. I know you have every right to be mad at me but i finally made friends. That's all I've ever wanted for the new school year."

She gave me a sad smile before wiping away the last of her tears. "I believe you baby. Just next time tell me before just doing things you shouldn't. Especially all of this." She pointed to the hickies. "I will mom. Again I'm so sorry....please don't tell dad."

"Its our secret. But baby its best you be careful around your dad from now on."

"I will. Still need help with dinner?"
She smiled again and nodded her head. "Yes I do."

Mom and I spent the next two hours making the most delicious of meals. We made homemade garlic bread that made the house smell amazing. She had used a family old recipe for the meatballs and even spaghetti. She showed me the ins and outs of baking and for the first time I felt closed to my mother than before. I was happy and in bliss just from listening to my mother's favorite tunes that played on the radio and her awful but funny jokes.
Words couldn't explain the feeling of the warmth and comfort of being at home.