Chapter 32

By the time I reached work a bunch of elderly ladies were outside dressed like they came from morning service at church. They had all kinds of tables set out with trinkets and quilts and jewelry. I parked my car and got out, shoving my keys into my back pocket. Some of the ladies noticed me and gave me the biggest grin. "Hello dear! How can we help you today?"

"Uh hi, I work here." The lady placed her hand on my shoulder and handed me a muffin from the basket on the table. "Homemade blueberry muffins. Please have as many as you like dear."

The muffin was still warm and smelled delicious. I nodded my head and walked inside, passing the other tables with candies and food laid out. 

"Good Morning Angie." I smiled at the slightly older woman behind the counter. She was helping a gentlemen fix a radio he had bought from them.

" Morning angel. How are you today?"

"Good. Uh what's going on out front?"

She fixed the antenna on the radio before replying back to me. The gentlemen was pleased and tipped her a twenty before heading out. He shot me a smile as he walked past. "We have these annual sales every month for the senior citizen homes. They let the ladies come and earn some cash. Feel free to go out there and look around. Would you also like to earn a little side money today?" 

"Yeah, sure."

Angie set out some boxes in front of me on the counter. "These will need sorted into the new shelving units I got today. 

"Okay, I will get to it. Are they books?"

"Yeah, most of them are copies from the library and they are hoping we can get something from them. If any fancies you, take it."

"Okay, sweet."

Angie gave me a pat on the back before going into the backroom office. I went ahead and grabbed ahold of one of the boxes. It was a lot heavier than I thought it would be. "Oh goodness."

I set it down beside me on the floor before sitting down myself. The box was covered in a thin layer of dust that once I blew off entered my nose causing me to sneeze. I opened the box and most of the books had torn off covers or golden lettering for titles. 

A couple hours passed by and I was lost in the boxes that scattered the entire floor of the shop front. I wasn't paying much attention when the door bell rang and someone entered the shop. 

It was when a finger tapped on my shoulder that shocked me. "Oh!"

"Sorry Luca."

I groaned and stood up. "What can I help you with Malachi?"

"Looking for something for Michelle for her birthday."

"Yeah okay, now you are just stalking me at this point." I pushed passed him, knocking over some boxes as I made a path. "Look, I am here for that reason. She has her 16 birthday party tomorrow and I need to find something she'd like."

"Jewelry?"

"Yeah! What do you got?"

"Go talk to the ladies out front. They have plenty to choose from." 

I could sense the tense in the room as Malachi stared me down. "Please stop staring at me."

Malachi rushed over and kissed me roughly. Only this time I shoved him off and punched him in the face as hard as I could.

"What the fuck! Are you crazy? You can't just do that!" Malachi licked his busted bottom lip with a nasty grin planted on his face. 

"You really hate me don't you?" His eyes piercing my soul with such lust that caused me to quiver. 

"Y..yes."

"Fine, but you better come to the party. She invited you."

"Not if you will be there."

"You'll show up. I know you will."

"If I do, I won't show up alone." I stood my ground. 

"You mean that Micah guy? Does he make you feel that good?"

"Fuck you."

"We'll see." Malachi waved bye as he left the shop. I finally was able to take a breath as the room suffocated every fiber of my being. How could he make me feel so vulnerable like that? I shook my head and refocused back on my job, picking up all the boxes and taking them to the dumpster. 

Once my shift was over, Angie gave me leftover lasagna and cookies from one of the ladies earlier that day. 

"I overheard a conversation earlier young man. Everything okay?"

Angie shifted in her stance and had her arms crossed in front of her chest. "Yeah, just an ex bothering me. He wanted some jewelry so I had him look at the tables outside."

"Doll, If you ever need me to beat someone let me know. I saw on the cameras what really happened."

"I appreciate it Angie, but this is a problem I have to solve alone. 

Alone..