Chapter 33

The drive home was beyond exhausting as every word Malachi said stayed rent free in my mind. He was honestly just doing everything in his power to screw me over and keep me asking for more. No more. I need to stay focused on Micah and toss away any leftover feelings I have for Malachi. He only made me feel disgusted and annoyed with myself. For crying out loud I screwed him within a week of knowing the guy. Who does that kind of shit? A fucked-up loser. 

I pulled into the apartment building complex and parked my car next to where Micah normally parks. I got out and overheard a women yell out my name. 

"Luca!?"

I froze in place as it was the voice of a scared mother who hasn't seen her baby in years. 

"Luca is that you?!"

I bit my cheek and turned around to see her across the parking lot staring at me. She was trembling as far as I could see. "Yeah.."

She ran, her heals clicking on the pavement until they stopped once she wrapped herself around me tightly. "Ooh baby! I'm so sorry!"

"O..ok..Please let me go.." I groaned when she squeezed tighter but granted my request. She took out her handkerchief and blew her nose. "Please..forgive me baby."

"I..I need time. What you and dad did is not easily forgivable."

She only cried harder, her sobs making it difficult to understand her words. She only mumbled quietly before handing me a letter. "Read.."

"I will, but I'd like to go in and shower."

"You live here?" Her voice returning once she calmed down a tad. 

"Yeah, with a friend."

"Are you safe at least?" 

I nodded and gave her quick smile. She smiled back and fumbled with her steps. "I have to return home; your father has a night meeting at the house."

"Okay, goodbye."

"I love you Luca." She walked back to her car and left me struggling to find the words I wanted to say. I did love my mom but what she did hurt me way more. She was my safe space, and it was torn from me. 

I gripped the keys in my hand and walked back to the apartment. My heart feeling heavy with sadness and anger more than anything. I shut the door behind me and tossed the keys on the side table. A note was hanging off the fridge door. 

"I'll be home late tonight so order what you like and be safe. Good Night!"

Micah had left a twenty on the counter with a sticky note that had a little red heart on it. I smirked and felt those tiny dancing butterflies in my stomach. Each one trying to outdo the other with flips and shit. 

I laid down on the couch and flipped through the channels until I was bored of television. "Ugh."

I glanced back at the wall clock, and it read 7:45 P.M. What am I to do until later?

I scrolled through my phone, finding videos to watch for the time being until a knock on the door distracted me. I stood up and walked over to look through the peephole. It was a random lady with a clipboard. 

I opened the door, and she greeted me with a smile. "Good evening, my apologies to bother you this late, we will be having inspection first thing tomorrow morning. Just make sure the outside looks nice and have blinds up so we can peek inside. We won't need to enter anyone's apartment unless necessary."

"Okay, Thank you."

"Have a good night young man."

"You as well."