Chapter 26

"Maybe you can."
They all gathered around me, enclosing me without enough air to breathe. "Heard you like boys."

"What?" I pretended like I didn't know.
"Yeah, Claire spoke about you. Said you like stealing boyfriends."

"No..I'm not into men." I tried to stand up for myself, but I was trembling.

"Yeah. Well, if I ever come across you in a conversation again, I won't be so nice next time. Let's go boys." They all left me behind, my knees hitting the ground. I was hyperventilating as my chest tightened up.
Miles must've known as he ran up to my car and knelt down beside me. "Bro what was Kian and his boys doing over here?"

"They...said.." I couldn't speak.

"Breathe Luca. Come on, let's get inside and go to the nurse."

He helped me up and we made our way inside the building. Everyone was carefully watching us, whispers filling the air. It only made my chest and stomach tighten up more. Once we arrived at the office, a nice older lady approached us. "What's wrong dear?"
I glanced up, my face pale and sweaty. "Help..."

She wasted no more time as she guided us into her room. She had me lay down on the cold metal table covered in a single sheet of thin paper. It stung my skin once it made contact with me. "Let me grab an inhaler real fast. Just keep him breathing."

Miles stood beside me and held my hand. "Breathe in and out deeply. You can do this."

I closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths. Envisioning my mom at home baking cookies. The way she danced to her old 80s tunes on the old tile floors, her heels clicking to them. Her red lipstick glossed over her thin lips. She always made the room feel comfortable and at ease with her soft voice. "Try a cookie sweetie! Chocolate chip!"

I smiled at her as I ate the cookie. It was so sweet as the chocolate melted in my mouth. But that soon faded to a nasty metallic as air shot into my lungs.
The nurse had used an inhaler which thankfully calmed my fast inhales. My chest didn't feel as tight as the medicated air filled me. Miles squeezed my hand to get my attention. 

"Luca?" 

I refocused my attention to Miles. "Wh..what happened?"

"I think you had a nasty panic attack or maybe even an asthma?"

"You'll be ok sweetheart. If you need to phone your parents to pick you up, you can."

I thought about it but frankly I needed to be at school. My father would never approve of me leaving because of a panic attack.  "No, it's fine. I just need a note for class."

"Of course. Let me go write one for the both of you." The nurse left us behind in the room. Miles had gathered up our backpacks. "Is it true?"

"Is what true?"

"What the boys said. You are stealing other people's partner."

I actually couldn't believe Miles thought I'd do that. "There is something you should know. But it's best we talk after school."

"So, it is true. Luca, what has happened to you?"

"Miles, I didn't steal anyone's partner. Claire is just upset that Malachi wants to fuck me while they date." I immediately cover my mouth and stare at Miles with instant fear.

"Excuse me what?!" 

"I didn't know they were together until I overheard a phone call. After that I didn't want to be with him but there is something about him that just keeps me going back for more. I...I like him, Miles. But last night, I made it clear we are done."

Miles looked more confused than angry as he took a seat. His hand covering half his face in disbelief. "So, you fucked someone's partner even after knowing they were with someone."

"Yes...but I'm not proud of it. If I could take it all back, I would."

"I need to think Luca. This is too much."

"Miles please..."

"I'm sorry but I don't think I can be friends with someone like you." Miles said the very words that shattered my heart into a million pieces. He was my only friend and a close one of nearly 15 years. we grew up together. I considered him a brother but deep down...I guess I wasn't for him.

He slammed the door behind him as the nurse returned and handed us our notes. She huffed at his actions and helped me down from the table. 

The rest of the school day was complete misery. Everyone whispered about me and kept their distance. I truly felt alone and lost. I should've taken that phone call and just dealt with the father. It had to be better than this. 

I waited till everyone left the locker room after P.E. I took the time to hit the showers and relax my mind. I guess the gods had it out for me because Cain and his two buddies showed up and shoved me into the wall. "What up loser!"