WHAT IF 2

ILAHI'S P.O.V

20 July 20xx,

"Common man you can't do this to yourself. Just tell him please." Gracy said throwing her hands in the air. We are currently sitting in a cafe near Gracy's house. I don't generally prefer cafes but she suggested so we thought to try it. The name of the cafe is weird, 'Professor's Cafe'. I mean who keeps the name like this but nevermind at leat there food is good. I take a sip of my cold coffee savouring the sweet taste and shrug my shoulders before speaking the bitter lie.

"What to tell him? It doesn't even matter bro. Chill I don't care about him anymore. It was just a minor crush. Maybe I have someone hotter than him in my destiny." I joke at the end, trying to sound a bit convincing but the look she gave me make it clear as day that she is not going to buy my lie. This is the same thing I try to make myself understand in last 5 days but everything in vain. I knew he was not mine and never will be but him getting married to my sister is what keeps me on edge. I even cried for once but blamed it on my periods.

"Seriously? I don't know what is wrong with you yaar." She said sagging back into her chair looking everywhere but not me. Even, I don't know what is wrong with me bro. I wish this all could be that easy for me as well. I can't blame her for reacting like this. She doesn't know the whole truth. The truth, I discovered 5 months back when I returned from the morning walk after my talk with Sakshi. That is the only truth I'm keeping from her and everyone around me. Gracy is the only person keeping me sane in the last few months. I thought it was the first and the last day I met her in the McD but God had different plans for both of us. We jell up like soul sisters. We meet once a week now. And the best part about her is I can tell her anything without feeling being judged. She is truly my soul sister but to be honest I'm still a bit conscious about letting her in. It's not her fault but the fault is in me. I'm scared to let anyone close to my broken heart and hurt the person with my broken pieces. She is being patient with me but I don't know till when. She has been healing me in some ways without touching or breaking the broken me further. Not only her, her family is also supporting me. Her father is helping me getting a job and even offered me some money for the course I'm pursuing. But my morals will never let me take a favour or help. My father always says, "Eat the food you can afford. Starving is better than begging." I know her father is not going to rub the favour in my face because he tried to support me when my own family never asked if I'm alive or dead but still I'm not willing to bow down infront of anyone. I'm not even taking help from mamu. I'm not going to let my morals ever down. I know in this generation most of the people have no principles or morals but I have. I still have values my family taught me. I value words and promises. And If life is giving me a lemon I'm making a lemonade and squeeze the left overs in life's eyes.

"Can you come back to Earth for a while?" Gracy said snapping her fingers in front of my eyes.

"Were you saying something?" I ask dumbly.

"Why are you not trying?" She huffs asking me this question thousandth time since I told her about my crush on Doctor Ajeeb. I take a bite of my white sauce pasta dragging some time.

"Because there is nothing to try for." I shrug.

"There is. You are just being pessimistic here." She said finishing her lime soda. I look down at her plate full of chilli garlic noodles. She had only taken two bites whereas half of my plate is empty. My whole life everyone calls me a slow eater but she is two steps ahead of me.

"I'm not. I have my reasons and you know them." I try to defend myself. It is the first time I had seen her this irritated.

"What are the reasons again?" She pushes further very well aware of every reason except one. Nevermind if she wants me to repeat to make it clear then I will.