INSECURITIES

AUTHOR'S NOTE: THIS CHAPTER HAS A MENTION OF BODY SHAMING AND PHYSICAL INSECURITIES OF A WOMAN.

ILAHI'S P.O.V

24 July 20xx,

Sitting crossed-leg on a cushioned chair I swing it from left to right. Taking another sip of my chocolate milkshake I look up at my sister and her fiancé bickering about a dress. She likes it but her fiancé thinks it's a bit too revealing. They both are arguing over a dress from the last 20 minutes. I mean just buy it or leave it, common yrr get over it. You all must be thinking what's going on and how I end up here? Let me make it easy for you.

Flashback

As Muskan drag Doctor Ajeeb away from me I glare at her back but turn my gaze to the pain in my hand. It hurts because of the way she jerked it. I turn my hand and look at the palm, still feeling Doctor Ajeeb's rough and large hand there. It's weird how I could feel his touch even after its not there. A blush form on my cheeks without me realising but I shake my head and walk in the direction of dinning table. Everyone is settled on the respective seats except Tushar, Doctor Ajeeb, his mother, Daljeet and three more women I don't know about. They all are serving. Wow men in their family serves. At least they are helping enough. This is actually the beauty of our culture. We love to serve our guests instead of hiring some extra helpers. Hardik, Ayush, Sameer and two other boys are sitting on a small table near everyone and I look at the chairs that all are filled except one. I stand there awkwardly. It's not like I'm arrogant and want any of them to invite me to eat but I'm nervous because I want to offer my help but feeling shy to ask. Fortunately the Aunty in the grey suit noticed me shifting my weight from one foot to another.

"Why are you standing there, beta? Sit here and I will serve you." She said with a polite smile, gesturing towards the empty chair that is between Ritika and Badi mama.

"Can I help? I can serve." I said offering her a small smile. "Hopefully without spiling anything." I whisper to myself.

"Thank you but I already have these three servants. You can sit and enjoy your food." She said chuckling and looking at the three musketeers who are serving.

"Yeah Ilahi. You know this is our actual profession that helps us earn crores. Being a doctor is just our part time thing." Tushar said and everyone laughed including me. Nodding my head I walk towards the empty chair and from the corner of my eyes I saw Doctor Ajeeb rounding the table to walk towards me maybe to pull my chair or just to irritate me. Daljeet is standing between badi mama and Diya di so he hurriedly walks towards the empty chair and pull it out for me. Why does it feel like they are having a competition going on? I settle down and thanked him still confused by both of their behaviours.

"Where were you Ilahi? You haven't eaten anything since last night. Aren't you feeling hungry?" Mummy said who is sitting across from me with Muskan on her left and Chachi on right. I look down in embarrassment. Why she has to bring it up?

"Umm, I just went to wash my hands." I half lied.

"Waheguru! These children from today's generation love to starve themselves to death. You and Harsh are exactly same in this case." Great! Now we both are having comparisons.

"Mumma!" Dr Ajeeb whines while serving rice to Muskan who gives him a flirtatious smile. Gross! I roll my eyes at her. Harsh's mother comes to my side and serves me Chole, Shahi paneer and Roti which is literally looking like it comes out of the tub of ghee.