11. Finally some news

Penelope pov - another few days passed

It's not like I don't love having company on cases, it's just that I'd rather not have this dark clouds in my little bat cave. It's just not good for the whole vibe.

Just having to look at her has been painful. Just knowing the pain that she's experiencing is painful. And what I hate the most is that there is nothing I can do about it.

I just can't stand it.

That's the whole reason one of the screens in front of me aren't focused on the case at hand. A truly brutal case, local. So Emily is working with the others in the bullpen.

I've avoided looking at the actual case photos. Because this is more brutal than ever before. I thought that after I saw the pictures from the crash site. Yes, I've them. And haven't showed them to Emily. Because they were... horrifying.

I just showed them to Rossi. Just so that he could profile the scene. I figured he would be easiest since he's seen things like this in reality. The burned bodies, and the indentation of where a body had been is burning into my scull.

It had been measured to be Y/n's. The blood hers as well. I just keep picturing the injuries she'd have from the impact. Even with two bodies protecting her. What a way.

Now I can't stop thinking about what she must feel about that. Knowing that two people gave their lives to try and save her. That's if she even knows that. If she's still alive.

A ping gets my attention back to the screens. But it's not those screens who gave any new information. It's the one behind me, the one where a new picture and report appear.

I quickly roll my chair over and don't even think about it as I open the file of pictures. A video even. I press play and see through a body cam how they find a few boxes of supplies, and a picture from above shows me that they're laid out as to point towards a direction.

I let out a deep breath. They got away. They weren't taken by anyone. They walked. They must be alive.

As I taste salt on my lips I notice I had begun to cry out of relief. The report tells me that they've already sent out four teams in that direction. Both air-born and on foot.

I quickly get up and run down the hall, careful not to mange to break my feet. But I run nonetheless towards the bullpen and almost rip the doors open as I enter.

All of their eyes go to me, but mine goes directly to Emily's who are focused on a file in front of her. Once she notices the quiet she also looks up, following everyone's gaze to me.

"They found something." Is the words the come out of my mouth next. Not exactly what I wanted to say, but... Emily goes stiff. "Some supplies were found, they'd placed them to point northeast. They've sent air-born and people on foot."

"They found them?" Derek asks, standing up as he glances between me and Emily.

"Not exactly, but..." Emily jolts up from her chair and comes up to me, pulling me into a hug.

"Thank you Penelope." She whispers into my shoulder as I wrap my arms around her back. Offering comforting strokes. Her voice breaks at the words.

"I know it's not much, and they haven't found them."

"It doesn't matter, thank you." I don't even know what she's thanking me for now. I haven't done anything. Not anything that matters, not anything that helps.

But I meet Hotchs gaze over her shoulder and he nods for me to take her home. While they finish the case.

Maybe she knows something we don't. Something about Y/n. Something that to her, tells her that she's alive. That she has to be.