1.1

Knock Knock...

"Come in!"

A dark-haired girl swiveled around in her chair to face the open door and both of her parents.

"Yes Appa, Eomma?"

"Minju-yah..."

Minju tilted her head as her parents came in, her mother crouching down in front of her.

"You know how we have work partners in Japan?"

"Yeah?"

"Well... One of them called, and both he and his wife are very close to us."

"Okay...?"

"And they have a daughter... I think she's a year younger than you? They want her to study here in Korea but they can't leave Japan right now because of their work... We just wanted to ask you first before making any big decisions, okay?"

"So... she's gonna stay with us?"

"Yes, she will."

"For how long?"

"Probably until you both go to high school... Is that okay with you, Minju?"

The little girl thought for a moment before nodding, "yeah!"

Her mom smiled, "that's great... Would you be a good big sister to her?"

"Yeah!!"

She ruffled her daughter's hair, "I'm glad to hear that, we'll let you know when she's going to come, okay?"

"Okay! ... What's her name?"

"Her name is Nako."

"Do I need to teach her Korean?"

"You don't need to but it could help her a lot to settle down in Korea."

"Hmmm okay!"

~ ~ ~

...

...

...

The girl's head perked up after hearing the front door open, and she quickly stood up and walked over.

"Appa! Eomma! Welcome home~"

"Hey Minju-yah, did you stay out here this whole time?"

"Mayyyybeee?"

Her father chuckled, glancing back and gesturing over, "come in come in, make yourself at home okay? You're part of our family now."

A shorter girl hesitantly walked in behind Minju's mother, her eyes quickly averting after making a split-second eye contact with the older girl.

Her mother crouched down, "Nako, this is Minju. Think of her as your older sister okay? You girls will be going to school together."

Minju didn't understand a thing her mother said in Japanese, but considering that her name was mentioned, she was probably telling Nako who she was.

Her mother rubbed Nako's head, "what did we learn in the car?"

The Japanese girl hesitantly looked up at Minju, speaking in soft Korean, "h-hello...?"

Minju smiled, "hello! It's nice to meet you!"

Nako tilted her head and the older woman reiterated what Minju said in Japanese.

To that, Nako grinned, trying to copy what Minju said, "it's... nice to meet... you!"

Minju's father came over, ruffling both of their hairs, "I would love to get to know you more Nako, but I need to go to work. Take care of each other, okay?"

"I will!"

He glanced at Minju, speaking in Korean, "take care of Nako okay?"

He leaned in closer, chuckling, "I heard she likes the same show you do."

As he left for work, her mother smiled, "now, what do you girls want to do first?"