Chapter 2

Street Foods

From that day, he started treating me nicely. And among all of us, I am the only one he will always talk to.

Although there are some times where I will introduce him to our classmates, but he will end up standing just beside me and listening to the conversation. Well, I won't force him to include himself but at least, befriend the others too, right?

Paano ba naman kasi, kapag hinahayaan ko siyang makipag-usap sa mga kaklase namin o kaya kahit kay Esme na palagi ko namang kasama o kaya sa iba, ang ending tatahimik siya at tango o iling na lang ang magiging pag-sagot niya. Kaya ang mangyayari, wala rin, ako pa rin ang kakausapin niya.

But at least, he's somehow improving with his social skills. Every reporting or group activity nga lang.

Dahil wala naman siyang choice, kailangan niyang magsalita lalo na at siya pa naman din 'yung tipo ng tao na may sariling opinion na ipaglalaban.

Yup, I found out that attitude of him during those weeks he started treating me as a real friend.

And during those weeks, he improved because he's not that quiet in their group activity. Before, he's shy to express ideas or opinion, as I observed to him. But now, he's open to share his mind to others. Although, once the activity is done. He's back to his old self and I am the only person he will talk to again.

I don't complain because he's treating me nicely and I am happy about that. I just hoped he will have more friends, aside from me.

"So, you really want to be a doctor?" I asked after our class. Esme and I were talking about what we will do after college, when we are still reviewing for our finals this first semester and still in first year college, then I realized Carlo was just listening the whole time we are studying.

He's not even studying, he said he already reviewed those subjects we were reviewing earlier at the library.

Esme and I looked at each other. Probably thinking of the same question.

"Yup"

"Then, why are you in this course? This is not a pre-med course dude" I replied and he looked at me before he slightly pushed me to walk as I am already blocking the hallway.

"Just because" he replied and I frowned. I was about to ask more when Esme's phone rung and she immediately excused herself after talking to her brother, who's already waiting outside the gate. I can even see their family car.

"Esme!" I shouted while walking with Carlo towards the gate. She looked back and waved her hand to me, so I did the same.

"Call you later!" I nodded at what she shouted back before she entered the car.

I sighed and glared at the man beside me, he chuckled.

"So, why are you taking journalism, when it's not even a pre-med?" I asked and took out my phone to text our driver that I am already outside our school, my twin is already home as she has a half-day schedule today.

My eyes widen when I realized that this is actually the first time that he stayed beside me while I am waiting for my driver to arrive. Usually, he will go to the other side of the road to go home immediately, not even allowing me to say good bye as he is too quick to move away from me.

"Yung nanay ko, ayaw niya akong maging doctor kasi hindi namin kaya financially. Kahit na ipaglaban ko na kaya kong maging scholar, ayaw niya talaga. At tsaka gusto niya, makita niya akong nagbabalita sa TV, mahilig kasi siyang manood ng balita. Kaya ito na lang ang kinuha ko" sagot niya na nagpabalik sa'kin sa reyalidad.