Chapter 34

Lies

After that confusing scene, Leon invited me for breakfast to discuss what happened.

Pinaliwanag naman ng magulang ko, pero wala akong maintindihan masyado bukod sa magkaibigan ang magulang ko at magulang niya. Kaya ngayon ay nasa Okada kami dahil siya pala ang magluluto ng agahan, hindi pala kami sa labas kakain.

"So, how did it happen? I didn't remember attending your parent's birthday here" I spoke while I am watching him started cooking our breakfast.

"I do remembered your face. But I never thought that they are your parents. I mean, it's always just the two of them whenever they are attending my father's birthday. I knew them by names, but I forgot the last name" he explained and slowly looked at me. "I never thought that this is how connected we are"

He even looks amazed, while I am confused. He remembered me?

Ako lang ba ang naguguluhan sa aming dalawa? Parang ang bilis naman niyang maka-cope sa revelation na nangyari kagabi. Pero baka wala lang siyang pakialam.

"I am so confused. Like how? I didn't knew or even remember meeting your parents, before they met me at New York. Same to you or any of your siblings. I don't remember meeting all of you guys before I went to New York and you became my assignment" I said and stood up to explain my thoughts further.

He followed my movement while I am speaking.

"I mean, if I met them and you or any of your siblings, of course I will know that. I should be, right?" I asked and he's still watching me, then he sighed and gave me the spatula that he is using to cook.

"Want to try cooking?" he asked and I took the spatula before I went beside him. "You're not always with them when they are attending my father's birthday. Not you or any of your siblings. So, maybe that's why you don't remember meeting us" he added and looked at the pancakes I am cooking. "Flip it"

I pouted and flipped the pancake carefully. Maybe he's right.

The reason why I can't remember meeting them is that I was not there when my parents attended Tito's birthday. I don't even remember attending it, because of so many events that I've attended wit my whole family.

"I am the only one who remembered you" he whispered something I failed to comprehend because I am in deep thoughts.

Kumunot ang noo ko at tumingin sa kanya.

Wait nasabi ko ba sa parents niya ang last name ko? Kasi kung nasabi ko, hindi ba sila nagtaka?

"Ano 'yun?" tanong ko at umiling naman siya bago niya ako turuan sa pagluluto.

Nang matapos ay kaagad naman kaming nagsimulang kumain. Walang sunog o hilaw, dahil obviously nakabantay siya habang ako ang nagluluto.

"Are you still thinking about it?" he asked while we are eating.

"I can't help it. The fact that my parents knew your family for the whole time..." I am still frowning while thinking about it. "I never thought that we are connected in that way. I mean, I am just a journalist and you were just my assignment. That's how I remembered meeting you for the first time" I added before I looked at him. "That's so confusing and weird for me. Does your parents saw me already before I met them at New York? That's just really unexpected at all. So small world"

He sighed and smiled at me, before he gave me the chocolate syrup.

"You don't need to worry about anything. It won't change anything. I am still here" he replied and I just sighed. "And I think if mom remembered you, she will still treat you nicely because they are friends with yoru parents. Do they know your last name though?"