Chapter 55

Abhimanyu felt the deepest of fissures run through his heart when Akshara was on the stage looking miserable as fuck, the song she was currently singing screamed of her despair and it felt like the two of them were the only ones to exist while the crowd listened in with their eyes closed.

"Ab koi aas na umeed bachi ho jaise...teri fariyaad magar mujh mein dabbi ho jaise" (there seems to be no waiting or hope...however, your complaints are embedded deep within my soul)

Abhimanyu had been so desperate to remove himself from the situation that he had paid no heed to how it would affect her and the toll it would take on her. He had been extremely selfish and when he should have spoken to her about how he was hurt, he had lashed out and alienated her instead. His pain was all he could see, forgetting that they shared everything, and she was probably suffering as much as he was if not more. He vowed to himself that there will be retribution and he would talk to her tonight!

When Akshara wound up the last song of the evening, the applause that broke out was thundering and despite himself Abhimanyu could only grin and join in on the cheer. She had singlehandedly raised so much money but also given so many people a magical night to remember for eons to come. He had been a dick to her and not supported her when she probably needed it but he needed her to know how proud he was of her, but once again she had gone back to refusing to look in his direction. Everyone crowded the stage and wanted a piece of her and to shower her with their praise, so he decided to wait on the sidelines, letting her revel in that glory she rightfully deserved.

Abhimanyu made mindless conversation with his siblings and other kids when Parth Bhai asked someone to put on some music and soon everyone was dancing and milling about, eating food and drinking while chatting loudly. When he looked around, he couldn't find her. Had she left already? This was supposed to be her night. Abhimanyu made his excuses and went inside the house to locate her. He found her with her back to the door gathering her stuff, unaware of his scrutiny. She looked so magical in her lehenga that he had to take a minute to calm himself down before he entered the room, locking the door behind him. He froze when she turned around and there were tears tracking down her stunning face.

He ran over to her and tried to wipe her eyes, but she swatted his hands away. "What do you want Abhimanyu?" she whispered in a broken tone. Fuck.

"I- umm I wanted to uh congratulate you. You were amazing out there" he rubbed the back of his neck in misery. She didn't even respond, simply nodded before moving away to continue packing her bag. Suddenly Abhimanyu couldn't bear the distance between them, he grabbed her waist and pulled her back to his chest, dropping his head onto her shoulder. She wriggled trying to get herself free but he only tightened his hold

"I am sorry" he whispered into her ears, but she adamantly shook her head, more tears escaping.

"I'm sorry, I was a raging dick to you. I just felt like you were protecting him when you came in the middle and then when you went with him instead of me." He was still so angry at the things that dude had said.

"I don't want to explain myself anymore, it's too late now" her words made him freeze, was she? Was she saying what he thought she was? But Akshara knew him, ofcourse she caught it "I'm not breaking up with you but I can't keep doing this Abhimanyu"

Ok he can live with this, this meant he still had a chance to grovel. "God, the things he said Akshu. You would understand why I was so mad if you knew what he said" His words made Akshara pull herself out of his grasp and push him away before whirling towards him, her finger poking his chest.

"IT DOESN'T MATTER ABHIMANYU" her eyes were bright with anger and she looked so cute but maybe now was not the time to tell her that, he could feel the steam rolling off of her, he had never heard her yell. "It doesn't matter because I trusted you Abhimanyu" his heart hurt at her use of the past tense. He opened his mouth to say something but she steamrolled him "But since you need reassurances, I got in between the two of you because you would have killed him otherwise Abhimanyu and your staff was watching"