Chapter 64

Akshara had unwavering faith that her brother would come around and had told him as much multiple times, but Abhimanyu was slightly wary, he had seen the anger in Kairav's eyes and that was the kind that burned more and more instead of alleviating. Also, Abhimanyu had minimal trust in people as they always tended to disappoint him, but he would have to put up a strong front for Akshara and fight for their love because that's what she wanted and Abhimanyu had promised Akshara that he would forever walk two steps behind her to make sure she never stumbled.

That night a couple of days back when Akshara had finally made the last of his lingering darkness leave was possibly some of his best nights, albeit it coming at a price of the fallout with Kairav. What was a lifelong burden had suddenly left his back and shoulders, all thanks to his beautiful and ever loving girlfriend. While things were sure to be rocky at the Goenka house not once had Akshara regretted her decision to stand beside him. This made his heart swell, but he couldn't help but let the doubts creep in. What if there was only so much that she could take and eventually what if she just gave up? He didn't want to isolate her from her family but wasn't that the only likely outcome.

Shrugging his body as if to let the lingering doubts go, Abhimanyu walked into the Birla Hospital ready to get into a day filled with surgeries. He had back to back surgeries scheduled and he could feel the rising tension in the back of his neck. Scrubbing out of one, he rubbed the back of his neck twisting his body to ease some of the tension, mentally preparing for the one after.

"Abhimanyu" Aarohi whispered next to him, making him raise his eyebrow in suspicion, the two sisters were always up to something and every time he ended up getting dragged alongside them.

Aarohi giggled before looking around trying to decipher if the other intern assisting had heard them, but Ishaan seemed oblivious, thank goodness.

"I wanted to see how you were doing?" Aarohi whispered again standing as close to him as possible to ensure nobody heard anything. Abhimanyu's smiled down at her because she seemed genuinely worried for him. He shrugged his shoulders to let her know without words that he was okayish. "I'm sorry Kairav bhaiya said those things to you, you know none of it is true right?" for the first time in a long long time Abhimanyu felt like he finally belonged, all because of his Akshara.

Not wanting to get into the specifics of his feelings and emotions he gently bumped his shoulder with Aarohi and grinned at her "Don't worry you know, Kairav won't drag Neil through the mud like me but maybe hold off on telling him otherwise Neil and I will need side by side beds here at the hospital" she like he expected groaned loudly and smacked his chest before stomping out, huffing loudly about Birla men and their ability to annoy her.

Abhimanyu's next few cases flew by with time and as he scrubbed in for the last surgery of the day, he looked around trying to locate Aarohi but she was absent. She knew he had needed her to assist and her name was on the board, then where the hell was she? They had to discuss the case before they went in but when he asked around, none of the nurses had seen her.

"Dr. Juneja, have you seen Dr. Goenka? She was supposed to be my secondary, but she is not here" he asked acerbically trying to keep conversation to a minimum with Ishaan who he despised greatly.

"I think she went home" he replied smugly but Abhimanyu had no time to decipher what his tone indicated. Home? Why would she go home without letting him know? Aarohi was one of his most trusted employees, she would never be this careless. Abhimanyu had no time to spend fretting over the whats and wheres. "Fine, you can be my secondary today but mark my words, one misstep and I will end your career. You do what I tell you to do or you get the fuck out, do you understand?" he barked out before getting inside the room, not waiting to hear the reply.