- 53

| Chapter Fifty - Three — I don't think I've ever felt this betrayed |

A gunshot rings through the air as soon as Minghao aims, slamming just near the side of the chest in the wooden target that stood just near the far end of the room.

Minghao curses under his breath, "Damn it," He tosses his gun aside in frustration, grabbing another and tightening his headphones whilst doing so.

He lifts the gun again, squinting his eyes to get a better frame of his bullet's destination.

"Your arms aren't straight enough," A voice says suddenly. It doesn't take Minghao long to realize that it's Xiaojun. He's leaning on the doorframe with his hands in his pockets, "If you want to hit the heart, you need to straighten your arms. You'll never do it if they're bent,"

Minghao looks away, "I know what I'm doing," He shoots without another word, watching in distress how it hits the same exact spot as earlier. He rolls his eyes when Xiaojun chuckles.

"Well, if you're so confident, show me,"

Xiaojun shrugs, "Sure,"

The blue haired boy makes his way over, throwing on an additional pair of headphones from the bin on his head, slipping a gun off one of the spare tables.

He's quick. Minghao absolutely despises it.

"Look," He takes Minghao's hand, pressing it on the underside of his elbow, "Feel it's line. Feel how there's no curve in my limb," He tells him, "And then...." Boom. Minghao watches with wide eyes how the bullet goes straight through the target's heart.

Minghao pulls his hand away, groaning, "It's impossible,"

"You just gotta practice,"

"What do you think I've been doing?" Minghao responds with a huff, "I've been working my ass off. These guns are fucking weird and I can't get rid of this painful tug in my gut," He whines, "I think I'm losing it a little,"

"You're just nervous," Xiaojun says, switching out their guns so he can reload the other, "I heard you've never been through a fight just as big as what's coming up. Not being frightened would be even scarier,"

Minghao looks at him, "I—" He frowns, lowering his gun, "I guess you're right," He hates it. He fucking hates it, "Mingyu's just fucked me up in so many ways it's taken a toll on every single emotion pent up inside me, y'know?" Having to talk about Mingyu this way, having to beat up his name is killing him, "I'm not even sure how I'm nervous right now. I don't even know what being nervous means,"

"That's fair," Xiaojun sighs, leaning up against the glass that separates the shooting range from the shooters, "It's been a while since I've last fought, myself,"

Minghao furrows his brows, "How so?" He asks, "When's the last time you did?"

"Hmm," He clicks his tongue, "When I was... 17? God, it's been a while, really—"

"Wait," Minghao shakes his head, "17? And you're how old now?"

"24," Xiaojun answers wearily.

Minghao's breath stops, and he blinks at a Xiaojun dumbly, "That..." He shakes his head, disbelieved, "That was..." He can't say it even though it's true. Xiaojun's beyond confused as well, it makes Minghao sick, "2017. That was when the Cerise thing—"

"Yeah," Xiaojun says, "Your folks, I know," He looks down, feeling out of place, "We don't have to talk about it if—"

"No, no—" Minghao cuts him off, determined to find answers, "Why was Cardinal fighting in 2017? What were you fighting for? This can't be that big fight that happened right after their deaths, because that was only between Cerise and Carmine—"