9 - Receive You

Azrael and I sat before the Headmaster, Madam Cloud, who was tapping her desk.

"So... You're really an Angel?" She asked.

Azrael nodded and let her wings out, spreading wide and elegantly.

"Amazing..." Madam Cloud muttered at this sight.

"There are many Angels. There is nothing to be so amazed about." Azrael replied. "It's not like my proud and powerful race as mine is extinct!"

A silence filled the room. This would give her her answer.

Oh boy. That's...

"No... You have to be joking..." She gasped in disbelief. She held her hands to cover her mouth shakily.

"1,000 years ago, there was a war against the angels and demons. Unfortunately, the Angels lost and they were wiped out by the Demons." Madam Cloud stated. "It was unambitiously named the Great Angel-Demon War."

She locks eye contact with Azrael with her sharp blue eyes.

"You are the only known Angel left." She revealed.

"And Heaven? It still stands, right?" Azrael asked, trying to grasp towards the only thing she could think of that could recomfort her.

"Oh, The gates still hold strong. The Gates of Heaven have been sealed for a long time. So strong actually that nobody can get in. Nobody can get out either. No one knows what happens behind those gates." Madam Cloud said. "Who knows if they are all dead or alive."

Azrael sank to her knees in despair. "It only felt like a couple days... This... This isn't possible! This can't be!"

She was sealed for 1,000 years. Betrayed by her own... Only to find out they were wiped out and her home was locked, sealed shut for a thousand years. The emotions she is going through...

I can't possibly imagine how she feels.

"It's not your fault." I said, rubbing her back, trying to comfort her.

She turned to me, crying on my shoulder. She locked her arms around me. I sat there for a while, letting Azrael let it all out as much as she wanted and needed to.

I hesitated before placing my arms around her to reassure her. I look up and see Madam Cloud giving me a smug look. I glared at her with a side eye then shook my head slightly "No".

Having finished crying, she leaves my shoulder drenched in tears. She rubbed her eyes, before slumping back in her chair.

She looked at her hands, shaking. I was worried for her mental health.

"What do I do now? My race is gone... My home..." Azrael muttered.

"You can live for Lucas." Madam Cloud suggested.

Hey! What are you suggesting to her!?

I quickly turn my head towards Madam Cloud in shock. I stare daggers into her.

I could see the discomfort of my glare get to her for a second.

"What are you implying, Ma'am?" She asked.

"You swore to become his loyal knight, didn't you? You can live your life to keep your savior safe." Madam Cloud continued.

W-What have you done!? You have thrown me into a deeper hole, Madam Cloud!!! DAMN IT!!! I don't want her to live for me! I wanted the opposite! I wanted her to have the freedom to choose the path she wanted!

"You're right, Ma'am." Azrael agreed. "I will live to serve and protect Lucas. My sword and fire shall be his to command."

"Please. Call me Madam Cloud." She asked.