34 - Jack-a-Dandy

"How did these men get in?" Nikolas asked his butler.

"After a short investigation, we believe that the guards were paid off. Except for Larry."

Note: The greatness of Larry goes on!

"Idiots." Nikolas sighed. "They should know better than to cross us. It's not the wage, right? We pay them enough to live modestly and still be able to buy a house after 25 years!"

"What's this about Larry?" Rose's mom asked.

"He's barely aware of anything. It's a miracle that he's even gotten hired." The butler sighed. "He fell down the stairs during the day and sprained his ankle. We let him go home for the day."

"God, him and his timing. He even talked about how he was looking forward to being here for the Blood Ball." Nikolas sighed.

"Let me guess, your majesty... For the food?" The butler said.

"...Yes."

"Box some food in the ballroom and send it to Larry's." Rose's mom asked the butler. "Put some extra sweets for the little ones."

"You can go." Nikolas waved off the butler.

The butler nodded, before exiting the room.

The Blood Ball had been canceled, for obvious reasons. Now, I find myself sitting at a large dining table, about to have dinner with the Alucard family... at one in the morning. Oh, it seems the Cloud family is here too.

A late night snack can't hurt, right?

The dining room was pretty spacious and was well decorated with a nice carpet, lights, and even some armor stands of knights.

Rose sat to my right while El sat to my left. I had my elbows on the table, hands together, raised to my mouth.

"I'm sorry you had to see that." Coughed Nikolas, sitting down back into his seat at the end of the table.

"It's been a while, Nikki." Madam Cloud smirked.

"Yes it has. And I told you not to call me Nikki." Nikolas replied, annoyed.

Nikki? Madam Cloud knows the king of the Alucard Kingdom. What the hell did she do before she became headmaster? She never fails to surprise me.

"Really? It's been so long, old friend. I must've forgotten." Madam Cloud teased.

Nikolas groaned.

"Nice to see you again, Callie." Madam Cloud greeted.

"Nice to see you again." Callie smiled.

"Hello Rosie." Madam Cloud said.

"Hello." Rose replied, a small smile tugging at her lips.

"I see that everyone knows each other." Nikolas said before his eyes turned to me, glaring. "Except him... Who is he?"

I'm already on the wrong foot. Awesome start...

"That would be Lucas Owens. He's been my friend for quite a few years." John said, descending from the ceiling. "And, as of recently, the one that your daughter has chosen as her fiancé."

"He's also my son-in-law." Madam Cloud smiled profoundly.

You guys are digging a deeper hole for me... At least John's point was pretty- somewhat neutral.

"Oh. I see." Replied Nikolas before looking up at John. "Can you not make a web in my home, Johnny?"

"Nope. It's nap time." John said, using his spider appendages to climb back up and went into a corner. "They'll be gone in an hour. Now if you'll excuse me..."